This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:00 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Mark Mundorff's Other '60 430MEL Tbird

Here are some pix of the other '60 430MEL that Mark owns. If you notice, the overflow tank has been moved to the passenger side panel next to the battery! I also see that the air cleaner top has been drilled to allow for air flow, I gather. Here are the pix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MarkMundorff'60Tbird-1.jpg (21.6 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg MarkMundorff'60Tbird-2.jpg (23.5 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg MarkMundorff'60Tbird-3.jpg (22.0 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg MarkMundorff'60Tbird-4.jpg (36.0 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg MarkMundorff'60Tbird-5.jpg (35.6 KB, 122 views)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 02-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Super-Experienced

gaffney1951 is on a distinguished road
Default Nice car ...

the vinyl top is a nice touch. Mike
Old 02-03-2011, 11:33 AM

AVANCIER THUNDERBIRD is on a distinguished road
Default 60 430 Sunroof

Hi Mike,

I had the chance to stay overnight in Steamboat this summer on my way back into Denver and enjoyed the short time I had to look around.

These pictures don't due justice to the looks of this car! I digitized some old slides I found and sent them to Ray. This is the one I put the 64 black leather seats into and they look great. The vinyl roof makes it look so elegant and at night, it simply stopped traffic, literally!! It is amazing how many people did not know what kind of car it was and also could not recall having seen one!?!

This 60 SR does look a little different in subtle ways from the typical Squarebird. I took the trim off except for the bullet lettering on the door and the emblem on the roof. I put 15 inch tires on this one too. I also put 4 shocks, 2 of them air shocks, on the rear and put in truck springs in front to ride higher and stiffer to control the side roll. The rear shocks help that a lot too. Notice the rear wheel wells? I opened them up just a bit, for both looks and wheel clearance. Altogether, it changes the feel of the car when you see it. My red 59 looks like a custom street hot rod. This 60 looks so refined and elegant and when you see them together, at first it is hard to realize they are the same body style and yet could look so different from each other. Both are fun to drive and someday, I may just do that again!!!

Take care

Mark Mundorff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffney1951 View Post
the vinyl top is a nice touch. Mike
Old 02-03-2011, 03:01 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Thos 'mods' are pretty interesting. I bet the holes drilled into the top of the air cleaner housing really do pull in some cooler air from the open hood scoop...

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:52 AM
Super-Experienced

Default I really like ...

to change things on my cars to make them mechanically better, and aesthetically pleasing to myself. I think keeping things stock is great if that's what you are into, but I've never been a #'s matching kind of guy. Your car is a great example of adding your own input to improve on an already great platform. Maybe next time I head up to Wisconsin we could get together and go for a little cruise. It would be great to see are two cars out together. Mike

Old 02-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

I will have to agree with Michael (Gaffney1951) as long as its is not drastic! Disc brakes, rack-n-pinion steering, power door locks, after market AC, etc... As said make your car yours and show people what you have done!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 02-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Apprentice

villain is on a distinguished road

Gaffney- you are here in Colorado? I just picked up a 60 jcode and am looking for good restorers and such. Any recommendations?
Old 02-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Super-Experienced

Default Restoration ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by villain View Post
Gaffney- you are here in Colorado? I just picked up a 60 jcode and am looking for good restorers and such. Any recommendations?
Where in CO are You? I do all my own work with the exception of final body paint. You might try on fordfe.com there are quite a few guys in the Denver area on that forum that would be able to help. Mike
Old 02-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Apprentice

villain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffney1951 View Post
Where in CO are You? I do all my own work with the exception of final body paint. You might try on fordfe.com there are quite a few guys in the Denver area on that forum that would be able to help. Mike
I'm in Longmont, but willing to take it wherever. I know of one really high end resto place down in Denver, but just don't know if they are the source for everything or what options I have...I'll check that site too
Old 02-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Super-Experienced

Default Well high end is just that ...

high end. Just because it costs more doesn't necessarily mean it's better. Do some research. There are a lot of really talented people out there that don't charge an arm and a leg. I would think about it but I have a 3 year back log of my own stuff to finish and when you start doing it for money it can quickly stop being fun. If you have any specific questions to ask there is a lot of good advice right here among other places. Mike