Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tinkergirl
    • Oct 18 2016

Quick Question

So... my husband is going to be helping me rebuild her from the brink of disaster.... I am here since Tinkerbell has a lot of repairs that are going to be needed and I was wondering if anyone has any good resources for where to get parts that I am going to be needing.
    I have a 1966 Hardtop Thunderbird 320 automatic engine. Original Blue color but I am going to be changing that.
    The good news about this is that the interior is actually quite perfect and as far as I can there is nothing that needs to be replaced (yet haven't turned engine over yet )
    So the more information and help that I can get the better since Tinkerbell is going to be my hotrod
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There are a number of vendors who specialize in Thunderbird parts. I would recommend Bob's Bird House, The Birds Nest, MAC's auto parts, Larry's Thunderbird parts and Thunderbird Headquarters. They all sell new reproduction parts. If you need parts that aren't being reproduced Bob's Bird House and The Birds Nest also sell used parts. You can find their contact info in the Advertisements Section.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Yadkin
      Banned
      • Aug 11 2012

I love your enthusiasm! Ford never made a 320- I suspect that yours is a 390 with an automatic transmission. I suggest you start with getting a copy of the factory Shop Manual. It's full of information to help make the repairs and your local mechanic isn't likely to have a copy.

If the engine hasn't been run in a long time you should remove the gas tank and get rid of all the old gas that may be in there as well as the fuel line. If there is rust and crud in the tank either have it cleaned or get a new one.

Have the brake system completely inspected and replace anything that is suspect. Flush out the old fluid.

Change out the transmission fluid- remove the pan to get most of the old fluid out. Replace the filter and gasket. Use sealer on both sides of the gasket so it doesn't leak. Take the dust cover off from the front of the transmission and drain the remaining fluid in the torque converter. The system takes 11 quarts of Type F.

The front wheel bearings should be cleaned and greased as part of a complete brake inspection.

The rear wheel bearings are "lifetime" lubricated (their life- not yours) so if they are original they should be replaced, and the differential drained, cleaned and re-filled. This job isn't complicated but it requires removal of the drive shaft and rear gear set; best done in a shop with a lift and two strong young men.

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Quick Question

Kristin, you have come to the right Forum. We have some really great mechanics on here. Get to know John Pizzi ~ jopizz, for one. He has repaired, and restored more Flairbirds than he can probably remember! Our great webmaster, Dave Dare ~ simplyconnected, built Fords in the Detroit Ford plants for years. You will have access to great advice on here. Steve is correct about that 320. He also gave you some good advice. Unless someone managed to swap out that engine, it should be a 390ci, and it should say that on the air cleaner, if the tag is still there. The VIN # on the door end will also tell us what it left the factory as. In fact if you write down the VIN # and the information on the Data Plate, and send it to me in a Private Message, I can tell you what that Tbird looked like when it left the factory years ago. Here is a website that will give you a lot of information about your Tbird. If you have questions or additional information about your Tbird, just give me a phone call. I will be glad to answer them.

http://automotivemileposts.com/tbird...lections.shtml
        Last edited by YellowRose; October 19, 2016, 01:06 PM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Tinkergirl
          • Oct 18 2016

I sit corrected

Yes in deed it is the 390. I am just horrible with numbers most of the time.
          Now I was reading one of the threads on here and I have come to a confusing stop.
          The thread that I am referring to is the one on the hood release... and today the hubby and I went out to our garage to at least replace the bad ground and put in brand new positive cable for Tinkerbell. When I went to find the release (left hand side of the steering column) it was not there so now I am back at the computer seeing if anyone has any answers.
          Thank you everyone so much already for the help. I am going to be going hog wild shopping for items that I know I will need to make Tinkerbell roar on the streets and at any car shows I take her to in the future.

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Your '66 has the hood release in the front. You may have been looking at a different year Thunderbird.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• Tinkergirl
              • Oct 18 2016

I will be honest I could have been. Thanks got the help. Crossing my fingers I can figure this out.

Comment

• scumdog
                Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Tinkergirl
                I will be honest I could have been. Thanks got the help. Crossing my fingers I can figure this out.
                It's under the front bumper, pretty much in the centre.
                A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Yadkin
                  Banned
                  • Aug 11 2012

Access the hood release in the center under the top section of bumper- see my hand in the first picture. Once it "pops" up an inch or so pull up on the safety latch. The second picture shows the release latch "probe" in the center and the safety latch just to the left of it.

Of course, a previous owner may have modified the release with a cable operator in the cockpit. In fact that is on my list of mods.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Tinkergirl
                    • Oct 18 2016

OK these are exactly what I needed. When I get up in the am to work on my girl this is going to be the first thing that I do

Comment

• Tinkergirl
                      • Oct 18 2016

Update

So we got the hood up and have so far replace the ground wiring as well as the positive wires concerning the battery. As well as the starter cylinoid but she is not running so as soon as I can I am going to be replacing the starter as well as the alternator. And go from there. I will keep y'all up to date

Comment

• YellowRose
                        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Quick Question

Kristin, before you start replacing parts, like the starter, or the alternator you might see if you can do some checking to see if they really need to be replaced. They might just need to be repaired, or wiring connections fixed, or ground wires cleaned and reinstalled properly. My advice is to not throw money out for new parts that might not be needed. You just might be having wiring problems, or maybe having those units rebuilt instead of being replaced. Just my two cents worth.

If you do not have a shop manual, they are available from any of the Tbird parts stores listed in the Advertisements Forum. You will need one to troubleshoot the problems you are having with this Tbird.
                        Last edited by YellowRose; October 22, 2016, 12:45 PM. Reason: Additional info.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Tinkergirl
                          • Oct 18 2016

could that also be the reason that when we are able to turn on the headlights on they flash on then turn off. Wait, let me correct that the actual headlights don't turn on but the running lights do the turn off then flash off?

Comment

• simplyconnected
                            Administrator
                            • May 26 2009

Back up a bit. Ray is right. Stop throwing new parts at your car because you will end up with a basket of good parts that you cannot return. Let's do this using 'sound troubleshooting techniques'.

Start at the headlight switch. When pulled out to the first detent your parking lights turn on. When you pull the knob all the way out do your parking lights go out when the headlights turn on?

You say your car, 'isn't running' but what does that mean? Is the starter motor turning? When you pull up on the shift lever while turning the key to 'start', does that help?

The starting circuit and the charging circuit have nothing to do with each other. A bad charging system (alternator) will simply not recharge the battery. A bad charging system will not prevent the engine from starting and running (until the battery eventually goes dead).

Let's see if the starter motor is ok... Put your car in PARK. Connect one jumper cable to the positive battery post and touch the other end of the same cable to the starter side of your new solenoid. After a spark, your starter should turn.

Try these and get back so we can go on... - Dave
                            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Dec 23 2008

Kristin - Do you have the Ford shop manual and the Electrical manuals/diagrams? Many good sound diagnostic procedures to study before just replacing parts that may not fix the problem.

Often having the manual in your hand with pictures and descriptions can lead to a quicker fix than online posts that go on for days due to well-intentioned "best guesses".

Good luck with your project.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎