X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • torpedo
    Apprentice
    • Jun 4 2011

Canister (tomato can)

Hello again, I am reaching out to all in hopes I get a better understanding of my 64 T'bird. My question: Does this canister (tomato can) hold air to provide the ports. I started my vehicle the other day and heard, I believe, a leak under the dash. At this point I cannot determine where, however when I hooked up my Mighty Vac to a line from this canister going thru the firewall and into the vehicle, providing air I noticed it's not holding pressure. Could this mean I have a leak somewhere.

Thank You, your help and input is always appreciated.

Always learning
  • tbirdmike63
    Experienced
    • May 4 2017

Was the sound of the leak coming from the steering column area, if so, there is a junction block there where there are about 3 vacuum lines go into, check that to see if all the lines are plugged in, I had one come off and it made a hissing sound under the dash. Good luck

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
      Experienced
      • Mar 1 2017

Originally posted by torpedo
      Hello again, I am reaching out to all in hopes I get a better understanding of my 64 T'bird. My question: Does this canister (tomato can) hold air to provide the ports. I started my vehicle the other day and heard, I believe, a leak under the dash. At this point I cannot determine where, however when I hooked up my Mighty Vac to a line from this canister going thru the firewall and into the vehicle, providing air I noticed it's not holding pressure. Could this mean I have a leak somewhere.

Thank You, your help and input is always appreciated.

Always learning
      There should be on vacuum line coming from the rear of the engine intake going directly to the park / neutral switch that releases the parking brake as soon as you pull out of park when engine is started . The canister / tomato can is strictly for accessories like door locks / rear vent etc.
      Hope this helps .
      ps. I am close by so only a phone call away .

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

As mentioned your car as numerous vacuum lines that control the heater, AC, emergency brake and accessories. After 50+ years they can become brittle and break causing a leak. I recommend replacing as many as you can as any vacuum leak will cause your engine to run poorly.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• torpedo
          Apprentice
          • Jun 4 2011

Canister (Tomato can)

Thanks to all. I may have pulled a vacuum line off of something when I was working under the dash. Very annoying when you take things apart then put back together and find something not working. Oh Well, another challenge.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎