• jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I'm pretty sure the bulb is a 53.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• tbirdmike63
      Experienced
      • May 4 2017

Ok, getting the indicator apart was a breeze,. Now getting it back together is another problem with that spring in there, I ground down a nickel, but pushing it in and turning is not easy, and lining up the threads, any tricks I need to know? Thanks

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by tbirdmike63
        any tricks I need to know? Thanks
        I wish I could say there was a trick to getting it back together but there isn't. It's one of those jobs that should take two minutes but winds up taking two hours. Usually I take them apart and put them back together off the car. I'm not sure if you are doing it on the car or not.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• tbirdmike63
          Experienced
          • May 4 2017

Actually I am don't it on the car, I did clean up the inside of the housing with contact cleaner, put in a new bulb and it was still freezing up. I think I need to remove the housing and clean up the connections under it, maybe then I can get it back together. Thanks

Comment

• tbirdmike63
            Experienced
            • May 4 2017

Well, the right turn indicator seems to be working now, I put a dab of dielectric grease on the tip of the bulb, maybe that helpes the conductivity, I haven't taken the car for a drive yet to see if it keeps working.....Keep you posted.

Comment

• Yadkin
              Banned
              • Aug 11 2012

Well, the right turn indicator seems to be working now, I put a dab of dielectric grease on the tip of the bulb, maybe that helpes the conductivity, I haven't taken the car for a drive yet to see if it keeps working.....Keep you posted.
              No it was the contact cleaner. The grease does keep it from getting corroded though.

You will find that most intermittent electrical issues are due to dirty or corroded contacts. One it took me a half-dozen or so tries to clean the contacts in one of the fse holders in the passenger kick plate panel. I finally had to resort to a pink pencil eraser to clean it.

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                Experienced
                • May 4 2017

I wonder if it would be a good idea to spray the whole fuse panel with contact cleaner, disconnect th battery of course.

Comment

• Yadkin
                  Banned
                  • Aug 11 2012

I wonder if it would be a good idea to spray the whole fuse panel with contact cleaner, disconnect th battery of course.
                  Absolutely. Take out the fuses, file them so they can be replaced in their correct positions, and make sure they are the correct ratings. Then clean both the board and fuse contacts with contact cleaner and an old toothbrush.

Here is a listing of the fuses in my '64 panel. I've assembled a little kit to keep in my trunk tool kit.

OE FUSE PANEL
                  NO. AMPS LENGTH TYPE CATALOG
                  3 15 1-1/4 3AG 15A LITTLEFUSE 0312015 OR BUSSMAN BK/MDL-15R
                  4 14 1-1/16 SFE14 LITTLEFUSE 0307014
                  5 2 5/8 1AG 2A lLITTLEFUSE 0AGA002
                  6 6 3/4 SFE6 LITTLEFUSE 0SFE006
                  9-11 7.5 7/8 SFE7.5 LITTLEFUSE 030707.5
                  12 4 7/8 7AG 4A LITTLEFUSE 0AGW004

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰