X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bird 60
    Super-Experienced
    • Mar 18 2009

Brakes

Hi Guys, I've an Idea what the problem is but would like your input. It's in relation to my '79 Cadillac Eldorado, Front Wheel Drive.
    I get a whooshing sound when I apply the brakes. Plus my rear right wheel feels warm to hot after driving around for awhile in Suburbia. All the other wheels are normal. I had the rear wheel taken off thinking that maybe the Emergency brake wasn't releasing properly. Before that, when it was on the hoist I spun the wheel & it ran freely, No scraping or anything unusual.
    The Pads are good & so are the Rotors. The Brakes work well, & the Fluid Reservoir is Full. I had the return spring & other moving parts sprayed with a lubricant in case anything was sticking. The Whooshing sound is still there & the wheel still hot.

Any input would be gratefully appreciated.

Chris.....From OZ
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

The sound you hear is clearly from the booster.
    Heat comes from friction, plain and simple. Make sure your rear brake is releasing properly.

Years ago, Corvette had a problem with their caliper pistons, they rusted after sitting for long periods of time. The first time the disk brakes were applied, they wouldn't release. Many Corvette cars were dragged out of the garage just to give room to work on the brakes.

Chevy's solution was, stainless steel pistons. Since then I have seen pistons made from composite and 'rust resistant' materials.

I have rebuilt calipers in my garage. There isn't much to them and rebuild kits from rockauto.com are about US$4 for your rear caliper (WAGNER Part # F98904).

If you crack the hydraulic bleed screw and the rotor becomes 'free', then suspect the brake hose.

If you have an air compressor and a stick of wood, you can repair your own caliper. The wood is used to 'trap' the piston from flying out like a rocket. Just be careful and watch a few youtube videos. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It sounds like you've checked all the obvious causes. Where is the exhaust pipe in relation to the right rear wheel. If it's too close to the wheel or brake line it could be heating the fluid causing it to expand and drag the brake. On a front wheel drive car there's really nothing to the rear wheels except the rotor, caliper and hub/bearing. I would associate a whooshing sound with the brake booster. It's hard to say if the two are related. When you spun the wheel was it while it was hot or after it had cooled off.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• bird 60
        Super-Experienced
        • Mar 18 2009

Thanks for the reply Dave & John. The mechanic that I am currently using is only around the corner from me. I have an appointment on Tuesday with him. Yes John, the Wheel was warm at the time when I went to the Mechanic , but unfortunately he hadn't quite finished a job he was working on & it had cooled down somewhat. Whilst there I'll have a look at location of the Muffler & Exhaust Pipe. My opinion the only two things that I can think of is obviously the Emergency Brake not releasing all the way or the Calipers.

Chris....From OZ

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Originally posted by simplyconnected
          ...If you crack the hydraulic bleed screw and the rotor becomes 'free', then suspect the brake hose...
          Never underestimate an internally collapsed or delaminated brake hose.

Troubleshooting bad hoses is what separates the men from the boys. I hope yours are still ok. Chances are much greater that you have a rusty or corroded caliper piston.

Never use petroleum products to clean your brake parts. Use old brake fluid and sand the bores just like you would for drum brake cylinders. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• bird 60
            Super-Experienced
            • Mar 18 2009

Thanks for the advise Dave, will look into those arears on Tuesday.

Chris......From OZ.

Comment

• bird 60
              Super-Experienced
              • Mar 18 2009

Rear Wheel hot

Hi Guys, just got back from our 6 weeks holiday in Italy & the Greek Islands.

The problem wasn't the emergency brake not releasing, or the callipers. Yep it was the darn collapsed brake hose.

Thank you John & Dave for your input.

Chris......From OZ.

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Brakes

Hi Chris and welcome back from holiday! I hope you had a great, enjoyable one in Italy and the Greek Islands! Check out the new 2016 Squarebirds Calendar! I just put it into production and have already sold 19 in one day! Look at the Special Announcements Forum for full details and the changes on how to order a copy. I had a great time picking the winners again this year and I think I came up with some great ones. When you click on the link to them, change the calendar from October 2015 to January 2016. Then look at the pictures over to the left. You can look at the cover and then each month of the year to see the Tbirds. If you order, make sure you have selected January 2016 and not some other month and year....

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎