• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Johnny
    Apprentice
    • Dec 21 2011

Need more fuel

Hello
    Wondering if anyone can describe how I should adjust the carburetor so that it gets more fuel. Year 1966 390. The original carburetor.

Greetings
    Johnny

Johnny Andersson
    Gothenburg, Sweden

• jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There are two idle mixture screws at the bottom front of the carburetor. If you turn them counter clockwise you will increase the fuel mixture. Clockwise will lessen the fuel and make it run leaner. It helps to use a vacuum gauge to set the fuel/air mixture.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Johnny
      Apprentice
      • Dec 21 2011

Thank you

Thanks
      I will test this. The reason is that it is difficult to start, but then goes really well when it is hot. One expert said it was too dry. A test shows that it emits carbon dioxide 0.0. The tester was surprised when these cars usually have 4.5!
      Johnny Andersson
      Gothenburg, Sweden

Comment

• Yadkin
        Banned
        • Aug 11 2012

If it is hard to start then it is a problem with your choke, not the idle mixture. Make sure that you have a working choke, everything is clean and operating freely, then use the method in your repair manual to adjust it.

When cold, the choke plate should be almost completely closed. A bi-metal spring inside the round black housing on the passenger side of the carburetor gets warmed up by heated air (from a small chamber on the exhaust manifold) and by a heater hose clamped to the side. When the spring gets hot it rotates the choke plate fully open. Mechanisms in the throttle assembly regulate high idle with a stepped cam during the warm-up period.

Comment

• Johnny
          Apprentice
          • Dec 21 2011

Choke plate was open all the time

Yes, that's right it's open all the time. There is no tube connected and the socket on the manifold is broken. I am attaching a hose and adjusts the cap. But the problem persists with a very low carbon dioxide. Can it be harmful to the valves?

(I use Google translate so all may not be intelligible?)

Johnny
          Johnny Andersson
          Gothenburg, Sweden

Comment

• Yadkin
            Banned
            • Aug 11 2012

If the exhaust manifold chamber can't be accessed then plug the ports going to the choke spring so you are not drawing in cold air. For summer driving you can probably get away with the heater hose alone.

Whatever you do, don't spend a lot of money on the old carburetor. The metal degrades with today's alcohol blended fuel, forming white deposits that clog the passages. Once this starts to happen you'll have to replace it with something more modern. And a modern carburetor will have an electric choke.

The basic chemical equation for perfect combustion is HC + O2 = CO2 + H2O, where HC is hydrocarbon, which in this case is gasoline. Perhaps your tester meant CO, not CO2. CO is from incomplete combustion, so low numbers are good.

Comment

• Johnny
              Apprentice
              • Dec 21 2011

Thanks
              Your proposal sounds good. What carburetor do you think will be good?
              Thank you for your commitment to my problem.

Johnny
              Johnny Andersson
              Gothenburg, Sweden

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Steve is correct. The original carburetors don't perform well with today's fuels. I recommend the Edelbrock 1406. It has an electric choke so you don't have to worry about the tube to the manifold.

John
                John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• Yadkin
                  Banned
                  • Aug 11 2012

I'll defer to John for the carburetor recommendation. From all I've heard his is a good choice. I went with electronic fuel injection for my car, parts alone including a new fuel system were just shy of $3000. But I park my car in a basement garage so low emissions both during start-up and parked are a big issue for me.

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Need more fuel

Many of us on here are running the Edelbrock 1406 carb with electric choke, myself included. It is an excellent carb!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Couldn't agree more with John/Steve and Ray. Edelbrock 1406
                      Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                      Thunderbird Registry
                      58HT #33317
                      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Johnny
                        Apprentice
                        • Dec 21 2011

Edelbrock

Thanks to you all. Installing an Edelbrock sounds like a welcome work when autumn arrives.
                        Johnny
                        Johnny Andersson
                        Gothenburg, Sweden

Comment

• Tac
                          • Apr 15 2015

tjena,

Hasse på rogers custom sells the 1406 ,

easy carb to change the needles etc.

i have the black 64 and I think we met at the cafe in säve last year.

Comment

• Johnny
                            Apprentice
                            • Dec 21 2011

Thanks to Tac

Hej
                            Ja det minns jag, kul med svar. Ja får kolla med Rogers C, han är lite dyr bara. Vad har du själv för förgasare och hur har du kopplat choken?
                            Johnny Andersson
                            Gothenburg, Sweden

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Need more fuel

Hej Ja det minns jag, kul med svar.Ja får kolla med Rogers C, han är lite dyr bara.Vad har du själv för förgasare och hur har du kopplat choken?

Which translates as:

Hi Yes I remember , fun with answers. Yes 'll have to check with Rogers C , he's just a bit pricey . What have you for carburetor and how have you connected choke ?

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎