No announcement yet.

CA58TBIRD Garage project

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

CA58TBIRD Garage project

First the 150 ft oak came down last fall with a little help from a crane lift and a tree climber. Then over the winter a friend cleaned up and took 4+ cords of oak firewood away. Next the 40” diameter stump had to be removed, the hill removed and the new slab location graded. A huge back hoe and a bobcat did that work. I have now poured a 22 foot long footing and built a 5 course retaining wall for the hill which will be the side wall of the garage. Next I’ll dig the other two footing trenches, put down 2” extruded poly foam insulation, PEX infloor heat tube and re-mesh, as well as set the rebar into the footing trenches. I would like to pour the slab the 1st Saturday in Sept. The existing 14x24 garage will be added onto with a new 22x22 structure. The existing garage was at a 45 degree angle to the lot line. Last Fall I poured a new slab extension for it, picked the garage up with jack stands on a tandem axle trailer, then drove the garage out the driveway, backed her up and set her on the new slab. Straightening out the existing garage then allowed me to build this new addition perpendicular to the existing garage and parallel to the back of my house. Here’s a few progress pics below.
    Attached Files
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

Sure wish I had installed in floor heat in my garage

Coming along nicely Jed - thanks for the picture updates. That would have been fun to watch that garage move (since all went well).

1st Saturday in Sept is weekend after next !!!! (you just might beat the snow)

Eric

Comment

Update on the garage construction;

Last Saturday poured the slab and now laying two course of block on one side. Next week the walls get framed and the trusses hung. Think maybe I am 3 weeks from shingling and hanging the 16 ft garage door I bought nearly new off craigslist. I gave notice on one of my rental storage garages for the end of October and will look forward to moving my ’58 Tbird out of storage into my own new garage. A few progress pics below.
      Attached Files

Comment

October update

Worked full mostly full time during the month of September on my garage construction project. Hanging the new garage door was quite a project. The instruction manual said "plan on 9 hours" and it took about 9 hours. Windows, Tyvek and shingles will go on this weekend or sometime next week. Then I'll take a break for a little bit. Either this winter or early next spring I'll do interior electric, heat, insulation and the exterior siding. My main objective in the next week or so is to move my 58 Bird into its new home. This past weekend I drove the 48 Dodge Panel van into its new home. Picture below as she stands right now.
        Attached Files

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Beautiful work, Jed. Coming along nicely...
          If you need suggestions on your electrical, let me know. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

CA58TBIRD Garage project

Wow, Jed! That is a huge difference from the previous photos! You have really made some great progress! Congratulations!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• keith
              Super-Experienced
              • Feb 13 2010

That looks great. Heated floor?
              Keith
              Sedalia, Mo.
              sigpic
              CLICK HERE for Keith's web site

Comment

• Yadkin
                Banned
                • Aug 11 2012

Wow, heated floor in a garage. Talk about luxury!

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                  Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Jed a tremendous job and yes soon to be the new home for your 58. Make sure the dog house has similar siding and shingles as the " main house " Now that would just be cool
                  Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                  Thunderbird Registry
                  58HT #33317
                  60 HT (Sold )

Comment

I would have never thought of siding the doghouse with the same siding. Gee I could use all the little end scraps to do the doghouse. Great idea Dan! yes the floor has PEX tubing in it for heat, but most likely won't get that going this winter yet as I'd have to buy the heater, manifold and pump to get it going. This winter I'll concentrate on siding, insulation and electric wiring. Today had the framing inspection and all passed and was signed off on. So now I can go ahead with covering everything. Today put the windows in and built a temp service door. This weekend I'll get up on the roof and start shooting shingle nails.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Ca58tbird
                      I would have never thought of siding the doghouse with the same siding. Gee I could use all the little end scraps to do the doghouse. Great idea Dan!...
                      Wrap the OUTSIDE of your doghouse with scrap pieces of OSB with a bit of insulation in between (if there is an air gap).

I don't want fido to get hurt from nail points on the inside walls or inside the roof.

In the winter it's going to get mighty dark. I suggest you install a motion detector with some coach lights (that point down) on each side of your garage door and above your side door. Most motion detectors also sense daylight so they do not waste your power during the day. Motion sensors are also a great security deterrent. I have more ideas in store... - Dave
                      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Dec 23 2008

Radiant floor heat is awesome!!! My neighbor in northern Ohio has it in his wood working shop and garage. Maintains a constant even temperature and everything is warm to the touch. No more cold feet when working in the winter either! He found a temp in the mid 60's best for him as it feels warmer than heated forced air. The small boilers are about the size of "carry on" luggage and are very efficient - its the only way to go!

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

CA58TBIRD Garage project

Jed Zimmerman just emailed me to let me know that he got his 2016 Squarebirds Calendar, and that it looked good! He also told me this!

By the way, my Bird came home to it's new garage on Saturday from its rental garage where she's sat for 10 years. Years of dreaming about a new garage, lots of planning and 2 months of hard work finally paid off for me. Best Birding,
                          Jed Zimmerman
                          Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                            Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Jed the garage looks great and I am sure she loves her new home
                            Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                            Thunderbird Registry
                            58HT #33317
                            60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Obviously from the pic that Ray posted in the this thread above, the Bird is pretty dusty and needs a pressure washer cleaning. The garage is not organized at all from my storage garages move and everything is just now helter skelter. In my spare time I am trying to get wiring in the ceiling and walls done, and insulation batts hung. Jeez, I may even sheet rock yet this winter. It'll be kind of slow progress thru the winter months, but at least the Bird is now by my side and under my roof. I was quite elated that day I first drover her into her new home.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎