X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • square2100
    Apprentice
    • May 29 2018

New to me 60 conv

Just made a deal for a 60 tbird conv that's in great original condition and will be picking it up this Friday. I noticed when driving it the braking isn't that great - have to push the pedal pretty hard and far to get the brakes to really begin to slow you down. I know it's all drum so assuming that's most of the issue, but since it has power braking, I'm wondering if the "power" boost isn't working right.

So with all that, I'd like to do a disc brake conversion, and I was looking at Gary Hamm's guide which looks to be extremely easy, so I wanted to ask if anyone else has followed his guide and how successful were you? Was the braking significantly improved by performing this upgrade?

Thanks for the help and hope to be a contributing member to the forum very soon after I gain some more knowledge on these cars.
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

New to me 60 conv

Hi Adam, I tried to catch you before you logged off, but missed you. IF you have been reading this Forum for awhile, I hope that you found that we have a detailed Vehicle Check List in our Technical Resource Library (TRL) to use by anyone contemplating buying one of these old classic cars. If you did, I hope that you have run that Check List against that '60 Convertible you are planning on buying. If you did, and were able to get that Tbird up on a lift, you should have been able to check the rocker panels, the floor panels, and all of the car for rust problems.... If you have not paid for that Tbird yet, and you have NOT seen that Check List, go to the TRL and do a Ctrl F (F=Find), type in Check List and it should take you right to it. Print it out, take it to that Tbird, arrange to get it on a lift, or get under it, properly jacked up for safety, and run that Check List on the car... IF you find extensive rust damage in the rocker, fenders, floor panel areas, you may have second thoughts regarding buying it... Anyone contemplating buying a classic car of any kind, should use our Vehicle Check List to run on that car, to see if it is really something you want to spend a lot of money and time on repairing the rust areas, and other problems that list show you that it has...

I also see you are considering doing a disc brake conversion in the future, using Gary Hamm's information in the TRL. So, apparently, you have been reading it.. There are other ways to go, other mounting brackets, like Scarebirds, and of course, the first thing you are going to have to do is to find 14"x6" disc brake ready rims, because your 14" OEM drum rims are not going to work. I am working with another '60 Squarebird owner on this, so if you do not have 15" rims on that Tbird already, you are gonna have to find some 14"x6" disc brake ready rims. Finding OEM ones for disc brakes off '70's-'90's Ford cars is getting harder to do. Consider buying new rims instead, and probably save some time and money.

You mentioned possibly becoming a Paid Member, and I would encourage you to do so. Much of the information on doing the Disc Brake conversion, what parts to get, which dual MC/Dual 8" power booster, is all in the Paid Members Forum... Paid Membership is $20yr, and the funds go towards paying our server expenses and keeping this Forum running. If you have not seen the rundown on Paid Membership, look at the top of the Forum, in the Administrative section, Membership Benefits and Webspace Information, and you will find them there. The information in the Paid Members Forum is easy to find and get to, including an Excel sheet on which parts to get and from whom. Keep in mind that Rock Auto is a member of this Forum, and as such, gives us a 5% discount on all internet orders through them. The information in the Paid Members Forum was put together after myself and Howard Prout put our disc brake conversion package together, and saved a lot of money by doing so. Over buying a kit from one of the disc brake conversion companies, like MBM, ABS, and others... If you have AC on your Squarebird, you are going to have a problem clearing the AC plenum box, but we can tell you how to get around that.

There is a lot I can tell you so, if you have the time and the interest, call me at 210-875-1411.
    Last edited by YellowRose; May 29, 2018, 11:39 AM. Reason: Additional comments...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• square2100
      Apprentice
      • May 29 2018

Thanks, Ray!

I'll take you up on that call one day, but before I pester you, I'll wait to make sure the deal goes through in a few days. Will also join up as a paid member once we get the car.

Thanks!

Comment

• byersmtrco
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 28 2004

Get that checkbook out !!!
        Ha Ha !!!!

Comment

• Tbird1044
          Super-Experienced
          • Jul 31 2012

I can so relate to this post.