X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnpaulny
    Apprentice
    • Jun 9 2013

oil capacity

I've always filled with 6 quarts when changing oil and filter, per the specifications for the 390 engine. I've come across a lot of information about using 5 rather that 6 quarts because all the old oil does not drain out. After changing, the level is about an inch over the full mark on the dipstick. Is this damaging?
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

6 quarts with a filter change is the norm. However it should not be an inch over the full mark after running the engine to fill the new filter. There's always going to be some residual oil left but it should not be that high. Make sure your car is on level ground when you check it. If it is I would remove some so it's on the full mark. Do you have the correct dip stick.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

FE engines are notorious for being 'oil starved' on long trips (sustained high rpms). They claim a quart of oil sits on top of the heads if the rocker shaft oil feed holes aren't restricted.

The same folks encourage adding an extra quart, over the full line. I have tried running with the 'extra quart'. There was no ill affects at all. If you're not comfy adding a full quart, add a half and run with it.

Maintaining the 'full line' works just fine in city driving. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• johnpaulny
        Apprentice
        • Jun 9 2013

Thanks for the reply. It may be the dipstick. I have had the car 3 years, 3 oil changes and always 6 quarts (with filter). Driven about 500 miles total and no problems so I'm going to assume it's the appropriate amount. Also, I read that if there is a problems with frothing there would be bubbles within the oil on the dipstick, which I have not seen.

Comment

• johnpaulny
          Apprentice
          • Jun 9 2013

Thanks. I've seen some info about this as well.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎