• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pat64tbird
    Apprentice
    • Apr 3 2014

Coil spring replacement.

Hello Members,

My brother hit a pot hole on the highway the other day breaking his left front coil spring. My question is: Can I compress this broken spring and remove & replace the spring without separating the upper ball joint from the arm? My brother owns a 1964 Thunderbird. Thank you.

Patrick
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You don't need to separate the ball joint from the arm but you need to remove the bolts and swing the arm out of the way according to the manual. The problem is finding a spring compressor that works. If you look at the diagrams in the shop manual you will see what I mean. This is a much more dangerous job than removing the spring on a squarebird where it sits on the lower arm. The spring sits between the upper arm and the shock tower. I would follow the shop manual to the letter.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• jhuebner
      Experienced
      • Apr 12 2014

I borrowed a spring compressor from a Mercedes Benz dealer and followed the shop manual while you have apart replace the spring insulators

Comment

• pat64tbird
        Apprentice
        • Apr 3 2014

Thank you for the information.

Patrick

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

Buy an OTC 7045B coil spring compressor. About $170, various on line dealers. That's what I used and it makes the job easy and safe.

Comment

• pat64tbird
            Apprentice
            • Apr 3 2014

Thanks Yadkin. I've seen those spring compressors before. The look much safer that the 'hooked' type ones.

Comment

• Yadkin
              Banned
              • Aug 11 2012

I've broken two of those by bending. I've also broken a lesser internal type by stripping the threads. The OTC has an actual thrust bearing that reduces friction during, reducing force on the threads.

Comment

• pat64tbird
                Apprentice
                • Apr 3 2014

I agree. I don't like the design of the hooked type.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎