• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Geoffreybusuttilmalta
    Experienced
    • Dec 9 2014

vacuum issue.

hi everybody again

im no expert so any advices would be greatly appreciated in a very simple way

recently had my engine rebuilt by a mechnic.

changed fuel pump to a new one not like old one with vacuum pump.

hve been noticing some rough idle after some time driving. when pressing brake and its on drive.

been told it may be a vacuum issue. i checked the power brake booster. seem to be working fine. but wipers have always been .. and still are.. when pressing throttle pedal.. they start to move up n down( i assume a leak somewere)

the pipes are like following:

from intake i have a fitting with 2 outlets and one goes to power brake system and from the other outlet it goes to the wiper directly.. cant truly determine what may be wrong.. p.s apparently sometime somebody removed the windscreen washer pipes...

could it be because of them... aand... maybe is there en existant diagram of the vacuum system in the whole car

Much much regards

Geofffrey
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Plug the hose going to the wipers. If the problem goes away then it's a vacuum leak either in the wiper or the hose to the washer switch.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Tbird1044
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 31 2012

Geoffrey:
      What it sounds like is that when the engine warms up and you have the car in "drive" the engine idle is rough.
      Here are some simple and quick tests:
      1. Have you tried adjusting the carburetor idle screws when the engine is warm and checked the idle speed to make sure it is correct? It could be that when the choke fully opens the engine starts to run lean at idle and could cause a rough idle.
      2. If the rough idle is due to a lean mixture, first I would disconnect and plug the vacuum line to the w/s wipers and see if that changes the idle. It is the easiest way to eliminate a vacuum leak in the w/s wiper system. If the engine is idle is smooth, then you need to look for a leak in that system. You talked about w/s wiper washers. Do you have the washer switch on the small panel in front of the drivers door below the windshield? This switch, if still in place also has vacuum lines going to the wiper motor. Since you say that when you push on the throttle, the w/s wipers start to move. This shouldn't happen since your wipers are connected to manifold (full time) vacuum. This could indicate a problem with the system. Let us know if you do have the washer switch still in place.
      3. If this did not change the rough idle, then I would check the p/b system the same way. You say that when the brakes are applied, you get the rough idle. That could either be caused by a vacuum leak or the torque converter putting additional load on the engine. When the car is warmed up and you are having the rough idle, I would chock the wheels, set the parking brake, and put the car in drive to see how it idles. If it idles okay, then I would suspect a leak in the p/b booster. If the car still idles rough and you have the w/s wiper vacuum system plugged or blocked I would go back to the carburetor adjustments.
      Hope this may help a little in trying to diagnosing what is going on.
      Nyles

Comment

• Geoffreybusuttilmalta
        Experienced
        • Dec 9 2014

Hi all

Regarding the mixture i will check properly because i even noticed that when during startup i pull a bit the choke .. it kinda stops .. therefore i avoid that.

Regarding the wipers and connections.

Yes. I do have the windscreen washer switch on the left side of the steering wheel.. but inside there were no pipes attached. ( something which i think is causing the leak) . Infact yesterday i isolated the wipers from manifold and all was fine. But when attached them again .. even with a non return valve i had the same problems of wipers moving upwards when i switch off the engine... .. so if the windscreen washer pipe is not connected o its outlet on the trico pump under the dash that may result in a leak for the whole system ?

Question..

Woulf the vacuum affect if both brake booster and wipers are taking from manifold? .. bwcause one of them used to come up from the fuel pump...

How is the proper way to connect the pipes from brake booster ... to vacuum reservoir and manifold... (flow)?
        I felt the vacuum reservoir like.its gonna contract rather than expand.. is that ok ?

Thanks much in anticipationn

Comment

• JohnG
          John
          • Jul 28 2003

Geoffrey, I would stick with John's advice of elminating the wiper sysem entirely until you are satisfied with the performance of the car. Work on one problem at a time. Disconnect and plug the lead to it (golf tee's good).

Once you achieve good performance you can return to it. New hoses might be good.

I would mention that once I acquired a small box of the washer switches. The chrome gizmo that is to the Left of the driver just below the side of the windshield. Every single one of them leaked. The leaks were repairable with strategically placed silicone sealer, but unreliable as they sat.

Keep at it!

john
          1958 Hardtop
          #8452 TBird Registry
          http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
          history:
          http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Geoffreybusuttilmalta
            Experienced
            • Dec 9 2014

Thats what i will do infact .. finish work and gead straight to the garage cofee and start .. i am not going to make the windscreen washer function again.. so i can eliminate or close that part

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Some members use a 'junk yard' washer bottle with electric pump in it. Junk yards crush them on a daily basis. Then, wire a small switch and relay to the existing chrome washer button on the 'dog leg' of your car.

I use a mouse 'limit switch' from my computer, screwed to the back of the vacuum switch. It turns on a relay coil. The relay contacts turn on the electric washer pump. Don't forget a small fuse. - Dave
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There's a T connector in the dash near the wiper motor. If the port going to the washer switch is not plugged then you will have a vacuum leak.

John

Comment

• Geoffreybusuttilmalta
                  Experienced
                  • Dec 9 2014

Vacuuum issue...

I just read about vacuum lines on this page and now i understand my problem.. i m having one mabifold vacuum outlet to both wipers and booster thus creating the wipers to go up n down while pressing throttle..

I had the fuel pump changed but going to buy one n.o.s .. and have evrrything as original...

Is anyone so kind to share how the vacuum lines to pump and manifold shoulf be connnected pls?...

Even a sketch would.do

Much much regards from sunny malta europe

Comment

• DKheld
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Aug 27 2008

Here's the main vacuum line coming from the manifold to the brake booster and on to the reserve tank. The orientation of the check valve is important (still have the original check valve on mne)

another shot

Here you can see the vacuum line from the junction block on the intake to the old vacuum booster on the top of the fuel pump. The steel line goes to the outer connection on the fuel pump with a small section of rubber hose. The inner connection on the fuel pump goes back to the to the wipers. Should have a stamp on the vac booster at the fuel pump that says "to wipers".

Close-up of the fuel pump connections.

And here's the other side of the engine showing the steel line coming from the fuel pump and going to the rubber hose that goes through the firewall to the wiper motor. That steel line runs in front of the carb.

If you have ethanol in your fuels in Malta a NOS fuel pump won't last very long - the original seals fail because the ethanol destroys the seal. They should be made with Vinton rubber which can handle the ethanol but I haven't found one yet that has lasted more than 2 years. I just recently switched to a style fuel pump that does not have the vacuum booster and is supposed to be rated for ethanol fuels - it has a lifetime warranty - we'll see. I do drive my car often so the fuel pump is working hard - some pumps may last longer in cars that are not driven as much.

Hope that helps.

Eric

Comment

• Geoffreybusuttilmalta
                      Experienced
                      • Dec 9 2014

Great .. thanks man... one thing i couldnt follow much is the 2 vacuum pipes which are on the top of fuel pump... im sure one goes to the wiper... but the other were is it coming from or going to ? ...

About the ethanol i think i saw something with vacuum pump whivh is resistant to ethanol ... i ll post it here if i find it surely

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Geoffreybusuttilmalta
                        Great .. thanks man... one thing i couldnt follow much is the 2 vacuum pipes which are on the top of fuel pump... im sure one goes to the wiper... but the other were is it coming from or going to ? ...
                        The pipe from the fuel pump goes to the same T connector in the intake as the brake line pipe. Does your '59 have the original intake manifold. It should be near the distributor as the picture shows.

John

Comment

• DKheld
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Aug 27 2008

Yep - as John mentions - take a look at the third pic - maybe you have a different engine?

The vacuum junction block is just behind the distributor.

One steel line comes out of the vacuum junction block toward the distributor then down to the outer connector on the vacuum pump.

The line to the wipers comes off the other side of the vacuum pump and up under the steel line going to the brake booster, in front of the carb and around the other side of the intake to connect to the wipers as shown in pic 5

The second steel line comes off the vacuum junction block and runs back along the intake to the vacuum booster connection.

The vacuum pump doesn't need to be Vinton rubber - it's isolated from the fuel pump section and doesn't get any fuel. I've never had the vacuum portion fail - it's always the fuel pump portion of the dual action pump that fails on my car. Just tossed out 3 fuel pumps Saturday (and I have two others still in the garage) - all good vacuum pumps but failed fuel pumps. That's from the past 10+ years.

Hope you have better luck.

Comment

• Geoffreybusuttilmalta
                            Experienced
                            • Dec 9 2014

Got the edelbrock performer... and apparently it got only 1 vacuum outleton top ... at the back...

Comment

• jopizz
                              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You should be able to find a screw in T connector for that intake so you have two outlets.

John

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎