Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

I don't like getting in discussions about 'who has the best...' in this case it's brake fluid.

I ask myself, 'what do OEMs use in modern cars?' They have used DOT-3 since before the 1940's and they still use it today. Why? Because nothing works better.

You are correct, that DOT-5 pools. You cannot stop moisture from entering your system so DOT-5 makes it collect in low areas where there are no bleeder valves. DOT-5 also gives your brake pedal more of a 'spongy' feel than DOT-3, because of the silicone.

Most master cylinder covers call for DOT-3 because the seals are compatible. I use DOT-3, but I change mine before the fluid saturates. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up Ray! I guess I forgot to mention it was the build sheets I found . I agree about the brake fluid debate.....it's almost as bad as "what oil is best". I will most likely run dot3 in the car due to the fact that I just bought a new container of it. Got my coil springs today, so I am gonna tackle the ball joints as well this weekend.
      Originally posted by YellowRose
      I think that Bob meant to say that he found 2 copies of his ROT/Build Sheet in the seats, not Data Plates. He said one was barely readable and the other one was good and readable. From that he was able to obtain the information on his Tbird since the original Data Plate was not there when he bought the car.

Comment

Found a 3rd build sheet today under the left rear passenger seat! Anyway, I have another problem that hopefully somebody here can help with. Rear brake lights do not come on, and I get no rear lights when the emergency flasher is depressed. Also both rear outside lights do not light up when either L or R turn signal is actuated. Running lights all work, bulbs are good. I'm currently looking at an older post with diagnostics and diagrams by redstangbob, but wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this problem? Thanks.

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

New member, gonna have many questions!

Hi Bob, now that is pretty unusual that you would find 3 copies of the ROT/Build sheet in the car! Is it identical to the other ones, or is it for a different car? Sheets for a different car, and sometimes for a Lincoln, have been found in Tbirds as reported on this Forum. Lincolns back then were also built in the Wixom facility.

As for your lights problem, I know that Dave ~ simplyconnected would tell you to check all your grounds going to your lights, front and back. In fact, he advocates running new heavy ground connections through the car to your light sections. If it is not a ground problem, then it might be bad wiring going to or from or on your light switch. The wiring schematics for your Tbird are in the Technical Resource Library. To get to them, just click on the link to the TRL below my signature element and scroll down the TRL to find them. Or use the Search feature on the TRL.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

All the wiring diagrams are available in the Technical Resource Library including the wiring for the sequential unit. My first thought is a bad turn signal relay.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

Yes I was shocked to see the 3rd sheet, it is correct for the car and is in perfect condition, as it wasn't rolled up like the other 2 were. As for the brake light issue, I do have the factory service manual for the car, but the wiring diagram is kind of vague about exactly where the relays are and what they do. I do believe that my problem lies in the black taped up turn signal relay/solenoid area....pretty sure that's where the brake light relay is. Hopefully I can get some time tonight to chase some wires with my voltmeter, and find the trouble maker!

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Bob, that is great that this 3rd copy you found is one for your car and not some other car, and a really good copy of the sheet! Protect it in a document protector or something like that. Take a look at and print out all the 1966 Wiring Diagrams in the Technical Resource Library. Hopefully, they will be a help to you in tracing down this problem. It could be a relay that is causing the problem. It might be as simple as finding the one that is causing it, and cleaning contacts.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                  Bob, CLICK HERE for help with your electrical issue. If you have any questions, we're here to help. - Dave
                  Here's another good post you should check out:

Originally posted by redstangbob
                  I wrote an article for the VTCI on this a while ago. It's a lot to go through but take your time and I'm sure you'll figure it out. Good luck, Bob C
                  http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.ne...pic.php?t=6708
                  Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                  --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Bob, of the 3 Rot/Build Sheets you found, do they all have the same VIN # on them? As Dave ~ simplyconnected said, it would be very rare for that to happen because they were spit out by old fashioned printers on that flimsy paper. I don't know if they were printing them on 2-part, 3-part paper or what back then. It has not been unusual for our people on here to find their own Rot Sheet, and that of the car behind it or ahead of it, or from a Lincoln. But to find 3 with the same VIN # is quite a bit of luck!

BTW, I just put that article on 1965-1968 Sequential Turn Signal Circuit in the TRL under the Tail Lights/Turn Signal section.
                    Last edited by YellowRose; October 6, 2014, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Yes all three build sheets have matching numbers, and I'm going to make sure they all get properly protected to prevent damage. I dug into the sequential "blob" last night. As soon as I removed and unwrapped it, the brake lights started working which would make me think there was a bad wire leading to/from it. I still did not have the outer lights during turn signal operation, which turned out to be a dirty contact. I have decided to replace the entire assembly with a solid state unit after fighting/chasing multiple different problems for well over 2 hours....I just can't trust the old mechanical unit to keep me and the car safe while on the road!

Comment

• Yadkin
                        Banned
                        • Aug 11 2012

Good idea. I plan on doing that with my 64 as an upgrade. You can buy a kit to convert an 05 or 06 mustang to sequential for under $100. No reason to think it won't work for our birds.

Comment

Ok, yet ANOTHER question! I see a hose sticking out of the inside bottom of my rear quarter panel. Looks like a drain hose to me, about 3/4 inch diameter clear hose. I have searched everywhere and can't find anything about them. Are they some sort of body drain? If so, where do they come from? Thanks for replies!

Comment

• Yadkin
                            Banned
                            • Aug 11 2012

Is it below the gas tank fill? If so it's the drain for that. OE is about 1/2" ID black rubber.

Comment

Yes it seems to be the fuel tank vent/overflow...thanks. On to another topic: I purchased a pertronix ignition conversion kit, and I believe I read somewhere that the 66 had a ballast resistor somewhere? I guess I'm not sure if this will effect my installation of the kit....I was hoping the instructions in the kit might be more specific, but they aren't. Bob

Comment

• jopizz
                                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Your car has a pink resistance wire between the coil and the ignition switch if you have a standard ignition. If you have electronic ignition then you have a ballast resistor I believe. You may need to remove it and run straight 12V to the coil. If it doesn't mention it in the instructions then I would email Petronix and ask.

John
                                Last edited by jopizz; October 24, 2014, 09:48 AM.
                                John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎