Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sagembox
    • Sep 1 2016

Front Wheel Studs length

Hello, can anyone tell me the length of the wheel bolts on the front axle? And are there some longer available? I need 15mm (approximatly 0,6 inch) more. Or maybe convert to nuts in the drum and fix the wheel with bolts.
    The reason is because i have to put spacers on.
    Thanks for your answers!

Regards from germany
    Markus
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Markus, these wheel studs are available at many places. Here is one CLICK HERE

Your car was made using 'inch' sizes and the wheel studs are 1/2" in diameter with 20 threads per inch. The standard length is 1-5/8" (or 41.275mm long). The same studs are used on the front and rear. They can be removed by knocking out with a hammer. To install, simple enter the stud from behind and use the nut to draw the stud all the way home.

Extra long studs are available. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• sagembox
      • Sep 1 2016

Dave, thank you vergessen mich!
      Do you have me a hot tip where to find longer versions of the studieren?

Regards
      Markus

Comment

• Tbird1044
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 31 2012

I also had to add some 1/4" spacers on the front, and thought this would be a no brainer. A month later I was still fighting it. The problem I ran into, was the knurled part of the new studs was always a loose fit in the hub and instead of pressing in, they just fell in. I tried several manufacturers and they were all the same. I know, you're thinking the holes in my hubs must be oversized. Nope. I even called the tech team on the stud manufacturer and they gave me the specs. What they quoted me, easily allowed the knurled section to be undersized with their plus/minus tolerances. I tried Dorman 610-444, Dorman 610-519 and Wagner BD125969. I also tried a set I found at Pep Boys and they had the same loose fit. To make a long story short, I ended up with studs from Summit Racing that were Moser MSR-8010 (1/2-20X3", RH thd, .625" knurl). I ended up putting a nut on the studs and cutting them to length. That worked fine. Another option is the MSR-8250 which is 1.938" in length. Not quite long enough for me since I wanted to make sure I had a full nut on the stud. It was very close though. Believe me, I never thought changing studs would be this much of a challenge. Good Luck
        Nyles

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Those of us who retrofit front disk brakes end up with two drums we can no longer use, both loaded with studs. I have pounded out a few and used them. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• sagembox
            • Sep 1 2016

Nyles, thanks a lot!
            I have just ordered the studs, these are exactly that what i need.

Regards
            Markus

Comment

• sagembox
              • Sep 1 2016

The studs are delivered!
              The next issue is to push them out. Could anyone tell me a trick how to solve? I have a 5T press, but during pressing the drum deform a little bit and I stopped further pressing. Should i have to heat the drum up?
              Please help

Thanks and regards
              Markus
              Last edited by sagembox; April 11, 2017, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• Tbird1044
                Super-Experienced
                • Jul 31 2012

Markus:
                On the front drums, the center hub can be removed from the drum. The brake drum registers on the machined center fit and can get tight from rust etc. A little WD40 or heat usually helps to get it to release. This makes it a lot easier to press out the studs as you can use a large socket or pipe as a backup when pressing the stud.
                I would also recommend cutting the studs to length prior to installing them. It's a lot easier
                Nyles
                Attached Files

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

You're making this job much harder than it should be. Broken or short studs DO NOT need a press on either the front hubs OR rear axle flanges. A simple hammer blow or two will send the old stud right out the back.

A press is the worst tool to use.
                  The studs have a swage that simply stops the stud from turning in the round, smooth hole. It's not a precision press fit but it works because those little lines in the stud are designed to upset (fold over) as the friction becomes greater. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎