X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbirdmike63
    Experienced
    • May 4 2017

Alternator belt

I got a 66 air conditioning car, the manual says loosen the alternator and slip the belt over the fan......I don't think so, there are two other belts in the way, am I missing something, is there a trick to getting the alt. Belt off? Thanks
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

To replace the alternator/fan belt you have to remove the compressor belt and the power steering belt. I'm not sure what the shop manual is describing but there's no way around it.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Deanj
      Super-Experienced
      • Nov 26 2015

I'd like to see what the experts say. I'd say the manual assumes you took the outer 2 belts off first.

Dean

Comment

• tbirdmike63
        Experienced
        • May 4 2017

The pulleys have very little clearance, do I cram the belt between the small openings around the pulls?

Comment

• Deanj
          Super-Experienced
          • Nov 26 2015

I don't know exactly what the issue is. I know I always remove belts from the small pulley first around the driven component. That means loosening the power steering pump and/or the A/C compressor to remove the belts. If I have to walk a belt off a pulley, like my A/C belt, I still remove it from the component, in this case the compressor, first. Then everything should fall into place.

Dean

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎