X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidmij
    Super-Experienced
    • Jan 17 2011

flywheel question

Probably a dumb question, but here it is. I'm putting a 428 crank in my 390. Will I have to use a different flywheel? Also, can my existing flywheel be resurfaced like a brake rotor?

Also, Autozone has a 428 crankshaft with main and rod bearings for $283.99. Pep boys has them for $299. So does anyone know what's going on with these? Are they total junk?

Here's the link,

thx, Dave Jones
  • KULTULZ

Originally posted by davidmij

Probably a dumb question, but here it is.
    Not a dumb question.

I'm putting a 428 crank in my 390. Will I have to use a different flywheel? Also, can my existing flywheel be resurfaced like a brake rotor?
    The 410 and 428 FE are externally balanced and require a different flywheel than the 390. It may also require a different harmonic balancer. Ideally, all three components should be balanced together (advanced machine shop).

A flywheel can be resurfaced like rotors/drums.

Also, Autozone has a 428 crankshaft with main and rod bearings for $283.99. Pep boys has them for $299. So does anyone know what's going on with these? Are they total junk?

Here's the link,

thx, Dave Jones
    I would try and find the name of the vendor. Usually, most larger machine shops can get crank kits. Even the ones that used to come through FORD REMAN years ago were spotty in quality. Make sure you mic everything during assembly.
    ____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________

...while waiting for the sandman (old fart disease)...

Here is some info on 428 CS ID-

-428CJ/SCJ Crankshaft Identification-

You would want to balance the CS after you have found a flywheel and decided on the period FEAD (Front Engine Accessory Drive) balancer you will use.

ADDITIONAL INFO-

-390 CI to 410 CI CONVERSION INFO-

Note that all harmonic balancers are neutral balanced for the FE engines and therefore interchangeable.
    Last edited by Guest; June 19, 2013, 06:47 AM. Reason: ADD INFO

Comment

• davidmij
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 17 2011

Thx Gary, now I guess I need to find the best deal on a flywheel. Any ideas?

The shop that is doing the shortblock build for me didn't believe Autozone could sell a crank that cheap. His exact words were, "**** the bearings kit alone cost $107."

thx, Dave

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by davidmij

Thx Gary, now I guess I need to find the best deal on a flywheel. Any ideas?
        Is your application AT or MT?

It is possible ($$$) to have the crank internally balanced and use the 390 flywheel. It would require a specialty speed machine shop (again $$$).

The shop that is doing the shortblock build for me didn't believe Autozone could sell a crank that cheap. His exact words were, "**** the bearings kit alone cost $107."

thx, Dave

EXACTLY!

It may be some off-shore piece of crap. That is why I would call them and find the name of the vendor first. Be prepared for the machine shop to refuse to install it if it is indeed a POC.

Comment

• davidmij
          Super-Experienced
          • Jan 17 2011

I have a MT. Close ratio 1 3/8" toploader.

Yeah, he said if they build the short block he will use his own components because they know what they are getting. They've been around some 40 years and know FE's.

If I get the parts, and tell him what I want them machined to he said he'd do that, but he won't assemble and won't guarantee anything.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Here is a suggestion for the flywheel-

Free Shipping - McLeod Steel Flywheels with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Flywheels at Summit Racing.

Comment

• davidmij
              Super-Experienced
              • Jan 17 2011

Thx Gary, I had found this one.

The Mcleod is 10 pounds lighter.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Just make sure it is listed for the 428 (external balance). There are separate weights to attach to make it balanced. Also consider hardened flywheel and pressure plate bolts.

Discuss this with your builder.

Comment

• davidmij
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jan 17 2011

will do, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎