X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deanj
    Super-Experienced
    • Nov 26 2015

Interior Paint

Did Ford use Raven Black or interior trim paint on the 1960 T-Bird steering column?
  • toddgilroy
    Experienced
    • Aug 30 2014

All of the steering columns I have seen are finished with interior trim paint.
    Todd Gilroy
    1960 Tbird Convertible
    Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

• Deanj
      Super-Experienced
      • Nov 26 2015

Would that be SEM Trim Paint Gloss Trim Black #39063?

Comment

• toddgilroy
        Experienced
        • Aug 30 2014

So should we assume you have a black interior? Blacks may not be hard to match up, so you might be safe using the SEM product.

Several of the Tbird parts vendors sell interior paint that can be used on multiple surfaces and the colors seem to match up well with the original colors. I have used the dark blue interior paint with good results.
        Todd Gilroy
        1960 Tbird Convertible
        Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

I went through a dozen or more cans of Duplicolor engine paint, semigloss Ford black. Engine, firewall, interior, underside. Interior vinyl covered panels. Radiator shroud. Seat frames. Dozens of small parts. Purchased from various stores over a period of 18 months. Everything matches perfectly and its very durable. And I've never had a can gum up on me.

Comment

• Deanj
            Super-Experienced
            • Nov 26 2015

The correct 1960 interior gloss black trim paint is SEM 15013 according to MAC's.
            Funny, even my local paint store couldn't scan the cover off the steering column shift collar to get the right mix.

Comment

• Anders
              Super-Experienced
              • Jan 19 2008

I hope it´s OK to jump in with another interior color question. I have bought 6 hides of the finest semi-anelin-leather in red. It´s all good and that, but I just feel I like to color it metallic green instead. Anyone know if that is possible, so I don´t get red parts coming thru after a while. I still want to maintain as much as possible of the leather feel as well, so it don´t feel like dry wood...
              If so, Brand? Contact?
              //Anders
              sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
              http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                Super-Experienced
                • Dec 23 2008

In my limited experience I would not recommend dyeing or changing the color for large "soft" areas like seating surfaces. From what I understand colored hides are vat dyed so the dye penetrates completely through the leather. Other spray on dyes are either on the surface and will wear off, or penetrate a minimal amount and the original color will show in cracks as the leather flexes &/or as the surface wears. Its OK in my opinion to dye hard surfaces covered with leather or vinyl (like dashes, consoles, or door panels) but soft seating surfaces take a lot of flexing and it doesn't last.

(Just my opinion.)
                Last edited by Anders; December 4, 2015, 04:22 AM.

Comment

• Anders
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by Joe Johnston
                  In my limited experience I would not recommend dyeing or changing the color for large "soft" areas like seating surfaces. From what I understand colored hides are vat dyed so the dye penetrates completely through the leather. Other spray on dyes are either on the surface and will wear off, or penetrate a minimal amount and the original color will show in cracks as the leather flexes &/or as the surface wears. Its OK in my opinion to dye hard surfaces covered with leather or vinyl (like dashes, consoles, or door panels) but soft seating surfaces take a lot of flexing and it doesn't last.

(Just my opinion.)
                  Thanks. I was afraid of that :'(

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Anders
                    ...I just feel I like to color it metallic green instead..?
                    THIS is coming from the guy who won't eat green pea soup??? Stick with red, Anders. Ruth looked great in red. - Dave
                    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Anders
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                      THIS is coming from the guy who won't eat green pea soup??? Stick with red, Anders. Ruth looked great in red. - Dave
                      Haha! We don´t have green pea soup here. It´s yellow and I eat it every thursday My problem is that I am planning to paint the car like Larry Watson, but instead of Silver and Purple ( panel paint ) I want Silver and Green. And I have already got my steering wheel done in green ( from Pearl Craft in Australia, looks great by the way.. ) and are not still sure if this will work with a red interior. There was no nice green leather colors to choose from at the time, so I just thought that it would be cool if I could dye it, and in a metallic green tone to give it this extra ´50:s feeling. Well, we will see how this project ends up one day I guess ... The helmet represent testing of the color. The chrome on the steering wheel will of course be replaced.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread. Will hide under my desk in shame for the rest of the week.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Anders; December 4, 2015, 09:26 AM.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

I'm still trying to figure how you get the green out of peas. I don't think I've ever seen peas that aren't green unless your soup is made from lentils or beans.

Regardless, I will stick with enjoying split pea with ham soup. Yeah, it's green and so are our peas. - Dave
                        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Dec 23 2008

There was no nice green leather colors to choose from at the time, so I just thought that it would be cool if I could dye it, and in a metallic green tone to give it this extra ´50:s feeling.

I really like the Watson style paint jobs, but not sure about the red/green combo

For green, have you checked out vinyl instead of leather?

Can always use black and white too if leather is a priority, and then sell the red hides you have.

Comment

• bird 60
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Mar 18 2009

Hi Anders, before you do anything why not get in touch with a dying company who are the professionals & see what they have to say.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• Restifier52
                              Experienced
                              • Jul 26 2011

Hi Anders. I agree with Joe on selling the hides you have. You don't want me picking your colors, **** I can't even dress myself without my wife's help but I'm pretty sure black, white, or black and white would look better than red if you can't get the green you're looking for. The paint looks fabulous!

Rick
                              1960 HT
                              Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎