X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frango100
    Experienced
    • May 2 2016

Transmission governor

I took the transmission governor out today to check for any wear/dirt in there and was surprised on how clean and new it looked. But when I compared the part with the manual, it seems that the internals are quite different. The housing shows FOMOCO and looks identical as the manual, but are there different governors (internally)?
    sigpicFrank
    1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
    Thunderbird registry #61670
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I wouldn't rely on the picture in the manual being 100% accurate. The picture of the governor in the 1959 manual looks different than the one in the 1960 manual even though they supposedly use the same part. Sometimes pictures are carried over from earlier years and aren't correct.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Frango100
      Experienced
      • May 2 2016

Ok, thanks John.
      sigpicFrank

Comment

• Frango100
        Experienced
        • May 2 2016

So today took the Bird for a first test drive with the new radiator and fresh transmission fluid.
        The first to second shift, which was kind of weird before, is now as smooth as can be. Only it doesn´t go to 3rd. Messed a bit with the throttle pressure linkage, which only changes the 1-2 shift point,
        but still doesn´t go into 3rd. Is this most probably related to the governor valve?
        sigpicFrank

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
          Experienced
          • Mar 1 2017

Originally posted by Frango100
          So today took the Bird for a first test drive with the new radiator and fresh transmission fluid.
          The first to second shift, which was kind of weird before, is now as smooth as can be. Only it doesn´t go to 3rd. Messed a bit with the throttle pressure linkage, which only changes the 1-2 shift point,
          but still doesn´t go into 3rd. Is this most probably related to the governor valve?
          Check vacuum to the modulator valve .

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Transmission governor

Frank, does your gear shift indicator on the steering wheel happen to have this, PRND2D1L on it? If it does NOT, then you may not have a COM for a transmission, but Ford-O-Matic. Or perhaps you are starting in the D2 position, which only gives you Second & Third gear... Putting it in D1 it takes off in FIRST GEAR & will change to SECOND & THIRD. Putting it in D2 it takes off in SECOND & changes to THIRD. This explains it a bit more. In 1958, they changed the PRNDL to PRND2D1L...

http://www.charlietranny.com/Fordomatic.htm

Here is a picture of what you SHOULD be seeing on your 1958 Squarebird steering wheel...
            Attached Files
            Last edited by YellowRose; November 29, 2017, 09:47 AM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Frango100
              Experienced
              • May 2 2016

The 58 doesn´t have a vacuum modulator.
              And regarding the shifter dial, it is the same as on the picture. I know for sure that 3rd gear was giving quite a lot lower rpm than it does now, so it must be staying in 2nd gear.
              sigpicFrank

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎