X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

The Stainless Steel '60 Tbirds

I just posted a half dozen pix of one of the SS '60 Tbirds under construction and on the line...With a Lincoln behind it.. Enjoy!..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

I found this on youtube. A few pics of the SSbird.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Victor

There are a few vids and pics from the Wixom plant on you tube.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl6Gd...eature=related
      Looking thru these reminded me when I was 18, at the end of 1973 I worked at Ford pre-delivery here in Tigard Oregon. Fords and Lincolns destined for the Northwest were shipped out here by train. They were not cleaned after construction and shipped as is. The cars were cleaned and detailed here before being sent to the dealer. I was in charge of right side windows for the short time I worked there, OH BOY sounds like fun! thinking back I dont remember any of the Pintos, Mustang or Borncos really standing out but when a T-bird or Lincoln Mark IV would come down the line it was a treat to open the door of one of thoughs big beautiful new cars. I do remember too the day that a FULLY loaded, limited edition Mark IV was scheduled. When it rolled onto the line word spread quickly that it was on its way. For me that car is the one that really sticks in my mind. I think it made everyones day just to be able to see and touch that car.... sorry for rambling. I'm done.
      Last edited by Guest; May 7, 2009, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• JohnG
        John
        • Jul 28 2003

hey Victor great videos! Thanks!!

john
        Last edited by JohnG; May 8, 2009, 12:41 PM. Reason: dumb errors corrected
        1958 Hardtop
        #8452 TBird Registry
        http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
        history:
        http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

The Stainless Steel '60 Tbirds

Hi John,

The video says the stainless steel Tbirds came off the line on July 11, 1960 because that is when they did! They were made towards the end of the production run, but certainly not at the end of it. Allegheny-Ludlum themselves told us the date and year on their own website.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Coral
            Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Slightly off topic here but I was watching this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2kLTj3aHFA

and the time for the 'bird was just about zip...
            the Falcon claim was a six-seater reportedly to get 30 MPG...

HOW?

Comment

• Penelope
              Super-Experienced
              • Mar 4 2008

Talk about timing - I just received an email about the stainless steel fords and it has some high quality photo's. Unfortunately it isnt the T-Bird, but you can get an idea of the high polish on the stainless here...

When you read the story, you can also see how the wrong info gets out there! As we now know, the dies were not destroyed by the SS. Also the author's taste comes into question here...the T-Birds are MUCH better looking.

Subject: 1936 Stainless Steel Ford

1936 Stainless Steel

Ford

This is the 1936 Ford Tudor Sedan built for and owned
              by Allegheny Ludlum Steel. This is 1 of only 4
              in existence and is the only one currently in
              running & in road worthy condition. The car
              is in exceptional condition, with the interior
              and even the frame looking great. All 4 cars
              each had over 200,000 miles on them before they
              removed them from service.

These cars were built for Allegheny as promotional and

marketing projects. The top salesmen each year
              were given the honor of being able to drive them
              for one year. The v-8 engine (max 85 hp) ran
              like a sewing machine and
              was
              surprisingly smooth and quiet. I
              thought this was a much better looking
              automobile than the Ford Thunderbird that
              visited us last year. FYI, the car was insured
              (we were told) for the trip to Louisville via
              covered trailer for 1.5 million
              dollars.We were also told that
              the dies were ruined by stamping the stainless car parts,
              making these the last of these cars ever
              produced.

Attached Files
              Last edited by Penelope; May 11, 2009, 06:52 PM.
              sigpicBill
              Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

• Coral
                Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Today I received my copy of T-bird 40 years of thunder and this car (well...) is photo'd next to the 'bird and the Lincoln...
                I am trying to figure out how to get these pages scanned and uploaded for all to view........in a readable fashion

Comment

• Hawkrod
                  Experienced
                  • Oct 31 2005

Originally posted by Coral
                  Today I received my copy of T-bird 40 years of thunder and this car (well...) is photo'd next to the 'bird and the Lincoln...
                  I am trying to figure out how to get these pages scanned and uploaded for all to view........in a readable fashion
                  Be very carefull about scanning in currently available material as you are likely violating copyrights. It is okay to post bits for the purpose of discussion (covered under fair use law) but any large portions are very likely illegal to post and could create problems for both you and any forums you post links on. Hawkrod (yes, I am an author and yes, I have sent cease and desist orders to ISP's!)

Comment

• Coral
                    Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Thank you Hawkrod...I am applying copyright info to the pages; giving credit where credit is do!
                    We are lucky to be living in the age were so much can be learned, without taking from a single source!

Comment

• Hawkrod
                      Experienced
                      • Oct 31 2005

Thank you Hawkrod...I am applying copyright info to the pages; giving credit where credit is do!
                      We are lucky to be living in the age were so much can be learned, without taking from a single source!
                      Giving credit does not make it okay to post. The point is the book is protected by copyright, you are not allowed to post any of it except for commentary, parody etc... you are not allowed to post parts of it just to share it with others. That is against the law. You can actually expose yourself finacially. Trust me, I got more from a settlement than I was making on one of my duds! LOL Hawkrod

Comment

• trim code 76
                        Experienced
                        • Aug 3 2006

Sorry to be off subject here but, Coral/Cathie, where are you in central ILL? I spent a majority of my life in Springfield and got a scollership to play football for SIU (Carbondale). BTW much better picture!
                        Greg

Comment

• Coral
                          Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Originally posted by Hawkrod
                          Giving credit does not make it okay to post. The point is the book is protected by copyright, you are not allowed to post any of it except for commentary, parody etc... you are not allowed to post parts of it just to share it with others. That is against the law. You can actually expose yourself finacially. Trust me, I got more from a settlement than I was making on one of my duds! LOL Hawkrod
                          I wrote to Krause this AM for written permission, will update with news when I get it. I had thought the commentary part was what we were doing here, but I'm apparently wrong, LOL
                          There is another source to get permission on this article, since Krause or Gunnell are NOT the creator of it but copied it into the book.

Thanx again Hawkrod

Comment

• Coral
                            Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Originally posted by trim code 76
                            Sorry to be off subject here but, Coral/Cathie, where are you in central ILL? I spent a majority of my life in Springfield and got a scollership to play football for SIU (Carbondale). BTW much better picture!
                            Greg
                            Coral/Cathie I answer to both, thanx for the nod on the pic -
                            We are in the Charleston / Mattoon area, Casey to be exact
                            Carbondale is a very pretty area, been down there a few times.

Comment

• Hawkrod
                              Experienced
                              • Oct 31 2005

I wrote to Krause this AM for written permission, will update with news when I get it. I had thought the commentary part was what we were doing here, but I'm apparently wrong, LOL
                              There is another source to get permission on this article, since Krause or Gunnell are NOT the creator of it but copied it into the book.

Thanx again Hawkrod
                              Actually, there is really only one full copyright holder but he can issue limited or full rights. Usually either the publisher owns it or the writer owns it, it depends on how it was contracted. Commentary is basically discussion of an article, not discussion of the subject of an article. I know it may seem like no big deal but I would hate to see something bad happen because somebody did not understand that what they were doing was not allowed. I spend way too much time getting web sites shut down and I am sure there are other authors doing the same thing. We all protect our work when we find violations. There is actually software and companies that detect violations. It is getting quite sophisticated. There is also now similar software for pictures and art as well as for music and video. The protection thing is getting bigger and bigger by the day! Hawkrod

Here are some related links on web based copyright detection:

The Virage division of Autonomy has developed search technology that can scan the Web for pirated video and multimedia clips.

eldavojohn writes "I've heard a lot of talk about software being used to detect pirated media anywhere on the web, but haven't seen a lot of details. PhysOrg has a good article on one of the tools out there. Automatic Copyright Infringement Detection (ACID) boasts a patented technology dubbed 'mea...

Comment

• Meridious
                                Experienced
                                • Nov 16 2007

I just purchased that book. I like the text, but I hate the sorry, blurred, black and white photos. Can't see a detail of anything.

Grrrrrrr.

Originally posted by JohnG
                                from page 56 of William Wonder's Thunderbird Restoration Guide:

Perhaps the most unique 1960 models ever produced, however, would be those ordered by the Allegheny Ludlum Steel Corporation in July 1960, near the end of the production run. Two stainless steel versions of the production 'Bird hardtop were produced at a reported cost in excess of $35,000 . These agless 'Birds were produced on the regular production line of the Wixom, Michigan plant.

More than 1,000 dies produced over 300 stainless steel components used in the fabrication of each car, including bumpers grilles and exhaust. Bodies were fabricated on the regular production dies at the Budd Co in Detroit, using stainless steel featuring a special satin finish, not unlike the later Deloreans. Being the end of the regular production run, and sinde 1960s ended the Thunderbird's third year of the second generation body style, these dies would no longer be needed and were ultimately, and unfortunately, destroyed during the production of these two "ageless" 1960 Thunderbirds.

The bumpers and additional trim featured mirror polished stainless steel. Polishing cost alone for these exterior components was reportely $3000 per car. The Thunderbird's normal weight of 3957 pounds was duplicated by using Type 302 stainless for the body panels and Type 430 for the trim. Because the maximum rolling mill for stainless only produced stock that was 72 inches in width, numerous ideas were tried, and an expenditure of $10,000 was made in attempt to obtain the 84 inch width required to form the Thunderbird's roof panel. Eventually two 42 inch sections were welded together to form the roof, with only a very faint trace line visible.

These stainless 'Birds, based in Pittsburgh and Detroit,, were used for automotive shows and special exhibitions throughout the United States and most of Euorope. The Pittsburgh car has appeared in over 30 parades and racked up some 120,000 miles, traveling one coast to the other several times. The Detroit car has also appeared in numerous shows and parades and has logged approximately 80,000 miles, including one trip to the West Coast. Both cars are in excellent condition today, requiring only minor tuneups and an occasional wash with soap and water.

Although both cars received interior and mechanical restorations in the early to mid 80s, with various components such as valve covers and wheel covers being replaced with non stock items over the years, the two stainless Birds will inevitably outlast all their model year predecessors, remaining timeless and shining examples of Ford's personal luxury leader for 1960!

note: page 55 has a picture beloning to Alan Tast of one of them.

Ray, I am not convinced there was more than one set of dies. Dies are terribly expensive to create and, if only used for 3 years, durable enough. If making the two SS cars destroyed them, that reaffirms my feeling. However, as always, that's just an opinion.

Maybe we could track down William Wonder!!

John

ps the online sampling of Wonder's book does not have this material so I copied it for everyone to read.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎