X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Penelope
    Super-Experienced
    • Mar 4 2008

Thunderbird Gasoline Company

I stumbled across this sign on flea bay and whilst I am sure its a reproduction, it has a date (1959) on it which would be unusual touch for a repro.

I tried to do some research on the interwebs, but couldnt find out anything about this business. The only thing that came up was a company that looks at land titles etc for oil leases and the like, so I dont think that would be it, as this specifically says Gasoline.

The question is, has anyone ever heard of this company / remember it, and yes now I must have one of the signs (preferably an original)?
    Attached Files
    sigpicBill
    Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405
  • Dan Leavens
    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Bill I too researched this company and came up the same as you? I haven't heard of Thunderbird Gasoline up here in Canada but perhaps some members / guests in other countries might provide some feedback.
    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Penelope
      Super-Experienced
      • Mar 4 2008

Dan, our resident sniffer dog, yellowrose has been on the trail as well, and he is drawing a blank on company info as well so we are reliant on someone remembering it.

He has found a gas globe (used to be on top of bowsers) for Thunderbird Gasoline Premium so I tend to think there may be something to it. Having said that you can also get repro gas globes featuring all sorts of things, like Harley Davidsons, well known bourbon brands etc. So it may be I am chasing a ghost, and if so I will probably buy a sign that at least looks to be an original and be done with it!
      sigpicBill

Comment

• Joe Johnston
        Super-Experienced
        • Dec 23 2008

Jan Feb issue of CTCI's Early Bird magazine has and ad on page 6 displaying pumps from Thunderbird Gasoline

Road Rash Restoration
        Walter Bell
        920 224 2500
        cbell1957@aol.com

I have no knowledge or affiliation with the above. Just passing it along.

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Thunderbird Gasoline Company

Hi Joe! Thanks for that information! As a result of what you posted, I was able to get more information on this company, which is probably gonna please Bill ~ Penelope! Walter told me that he had read that there is or was a Thunderbird Gasoline Company which was a division of a company called Great West Gas Co. He said he thought it was based in the Montana, Wyoming, maybe Canada area of the country. He said he thought he had that source and would send it to me. So the Super Duper Sniffer Dog, put his nose to the trail and started doing research on that, and found the Great Western Oil & Gas Co. of Denver, Co. So I called them! Most of their people were in a big meeting today, so I was not able to get any additional information from them, but they will call me back, I was told. However, she said she did not think they were formally known as the Great West Gas Co. I will do some more research on defunct, past and present oil companies by that name, because I was searching under the TB Gasoline Co name.

In talking with Walter, I found out that he used have a bunch of classic cars, still has a big Ford and a fully restored, back in the 1970's, 1957 Babybird! He said he won a lot of trophies with that over the years, but the wear is starting to show. I told him about us, and will be sending some information. He will be sending me some information also, regarding what he has available. So, thank you for that link to him. I will see where this takes us, because it looks like he has some things that Bill might be interested in.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Joe Johnston
            Super-Experienced
            • Dec 23 2008

That's good news. Hope the info helps everyone interested.

Comment

• Penelope
              Super-Experienced
              • Mar 4 2008

Originally posted by YellowRose
              Hi Joe! Thanks for that information! As a result of what you posted, I was able to get more information on this company, which is probably gonna please Bill ~ Penelope! Walter told me that he had read that there is or was a Thunderbird Gasoline Company which was a division of a company called Great West Gas Co. He said he thought it was based in the Montana, Wyoming, maybe Canada area of the country. He said he thought he had that source and would send it to me. So the Super Duper Sniffer Dog, put his nose to the trail and started doing research on that, and found the Great Western Oil & Gas Co. of Denver, Co. So I called them! Most of their people were in a big meeting today, so I was not able to get any additional information from them, but they will call me back, I was told. However, she said she did not think they were formally known as the Great West Gas Co. I will do some more research on defunct, past and present oil companies by that name, because I was searching under the TB Gasoline Co name.

In talking with Walter, I found out that he used have a bunch of classic cars, still has a big Ford and a fully restored, back in the 1970's, 1957 Babybird! He said he won a lot of trophies with that over the years, but the wear is starting to show. I told him about us, and will be sending some information. He will be sending me some information also, regarding what he has available. So, thank you for that link to him. I will see where this takes us, because it looks like he has some things that Bill might be interested in.
              Aint no holding you back Ray! Sniffed another one out, great work and I cant wait to hear from Walter. I am currently winning the bid on an old gas pump sign with 1 day to go.
              sigpicBill

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Bill good luck with the bid

I am currently winning the bid on an old gas pump sign with 1 day to go.
                Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                Thunderbird Registry
                58HT #33317
                60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍