X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

B.J. ~ OlePhart's '59 Fairlane 500!

Here are some pix that BJ sent me of his '59 Fairlane 500! BJ lives not to far up the road from me, so I hope to be able to drop in one day to see it in person! He says she is in pretty good running condition but does need some minor work done on her. They like her because now that they traded their '55 Babybird for her, they can take their pups riding with them in the 500! Enjoy their pretty red & white Fairlane 500!
    Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • tbird430
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 18 2007

Not too shabby, I even like that storage container "garage".

That looks like a 332 or 353cid FE motor painted red like the "Y-block" 292cid would have been in 1959. Threw me for a loop at 1st- I had to do a double take on the engine pic...

-Jon in TX.
    sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Mine came with a 292 Y-block but my 1959 Ford service manual shows an FE as a factory option. It's called out as: THUNDERBIRD 332 AND 352 SPECIAL V-8, AND 352 POLICE SPECIAL V-8. Most of the guys in my Galaxie club have FEs as well. '59 was the first year for Galaxie but the last year for Y's in full size cars. Trucks used them up to '64, I think.

I like the way Y-blocks sound but after overhauling mine I understand why Ford quickly produced the FE, and got away from building Y-blocks in the USA. These engines are Ford's first attempt at building an overhead valve engine and they are small. The largest Y is a 312; hardly any competition for a 332, 352, 390 or 427. Everything you can do to improve a Y, you can do more to an FE and for a lot less money.

I have never heard of any hotrodder who pulled out an FE and stuffed a Y in its place. This swap usually goes the other way. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Dave,

I believe Y blocks were used in full size Fords up to 1962. I had a '61 Sunliner that had a factory 292.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Yes, Wikipedia says the Y-block: "..was replaced by the Ford FE engine (on medium cars) and the Ford Windsor engine (on small cars) in 1962, and lasted until 1964 in Ford trucks.

They may have been 'replaced' but most cars from '59 on came with FE's. I was surprised mine came 'bare bones' with a 292/3-speed stick with no PS or PB. C'mon, this is a Galaxie! Maybe someone just wanted the nicer interior and roof. I don't know... I am grateful that mine didn't come with a Mileage Maker SIX!

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

My sunliner also had a 3 speed on the column. At least it had PS although it had manual brakes. It wasn't exactly built for speed.

John
            Attached Files
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• tbird430
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 18 2007

I knew it was an "FE" under BJ's Fairlane 500 hood, but it's painted to look like the original 292cid "red" engine colors of 1959. I'm sure this was probably done to match the red/white exterior.

I just couldn't tell if it was the optional 1959 Ford 332cid 2-barrel or the larger optional 352cid 4-barrel FE hiding in there... LOL!!

-Jon in TX.
              sigpic
              The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 30 2009

nice car

I like those old Fairlanes…. I've seen VERY few of them around here. They seem to be about as rare as our squarebirds.
                http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Originally posted by tbird430
                  ...I just couldn't tell if it was the optional 1959 Ford 332cid 2-barrel or the larger optional 352cid 4-barrel FE hiding in there...
                  Yes Jon, all these FEs look identical from the outside. Maybe that's not a bad thing.

GM had matching engine numbers, but Ford did not. Maybe that's not a bad thing especially for the guys overseas. Here we are fifty years later, trying to make the car 'stock' with few resources that are left.

Does it matter whether the engine is a 332, 352 or 390? I guess it depends on your purpose. I do know a quick way to find out which one you have because they came with three different strokes.

332 has a 3.300" stroke
                  352 has a 3.500" stroke
                  390 has a 3.784" stroke

Ok, that's nearly 1/4" difference between each one. Let's make this easy:
                  • 1. Put the crank at TDC and remove #1 and #4 spark plugs. (When #1 piston is up, #4 is down.)
                  • 2. Stick a welding rod straight down #1 spark plug hole and mark it with a fine Sharpie at the valve cover flange.
                  • 3. Pull the rod out and stick it straight down #4 spark plug hole, and mark it the same way you did step #2.
                  • 4. Measure between your marks.

This doesn't need precision. If the distance between your marks is around 3-1/3", this engine is a 332. If the distance between your marks is around 3-1/2", it's a 352. If the distance is around 3-3/4" it's a 390/427 crank. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎