This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:38 PM
Apprentice

Carolina Tee Bird is on a distinguished road
Default Holiday flush

So I drained the coolant from the radiator and rocked the car side to side to get all the old fluid out prior to refill with Thermocure and water. Oddly I only retrieved 2 1/2 gallons of coolant yet the shop manual says capacity of 20 quarts (5 gallons). Refill was the same quantity. Why only half the volume? Do I have a major blockage preventing a complete drain or is the manual wrong? Thanks for responding.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:46 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

You are not going to get all the old coolant out just by draining the radiator. You need to remove the drain plug in the block. You probably also have some coolant left in the heater core.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 07-04-2018, 01:55 PM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

del is on a distinguished road
Default learn something new every day...

I have experienced similar to Carolina TB when draining the system re qts of capacity. Never knew about the drain plug in the block. Thanks John
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 09-15-2018, 11:39 AM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

Default About that drain plug...

My radiator finally gave it up the other night at a local cruise-in, so I pulled it yesterday for re-coring. While that's getting done I thought I'd explore draining the block. The shop manual references "drain plugs located on both sides of the block", and I think I have located them, assuming there are only two. See pictures, left side then right side. Questions for the experts: On the left side, the drain cock is like the one on the bottom of the radiator. I've got it open about 1 turn but nothing seems to be coming out. Does it need to be open more than that, and does the car need to be at any particular angle to get proper drainage? On the right side, the plug is very close to the motor mount. Does this look correct? Will there be any challenges getting it back in?
Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LeftBlockDrain.JPG (111.0 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg RightBlockDrain.JPG (129.5 KB, 130 views)
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 09-15-2018, 12:11 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I don't remember there being a petcock in the block, just drain plugs. Someone must've added that. I would open it as far as it can go. If nothing comes out try putting a wire through the hole. It may be blocked. The one near the motor mount isn't easy to get in and out but it's doable. The other option is to remove the water pump and flush the block through the front openings with a hose.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

Old 09-15-2018, 12:47 PM
Super-Experienced and a really nice guy!

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Holiday flush

When Rob and Don were working on the install of the CAA "Perfect Fit" AC system on his 430, they found, for whatever reason, they were having a bit of a overheating problem. So they pulled the water pump and flushed the block through the front openings of it. As it turned out, the flush came out looking clean! So, apparently, that was not a problem. A bit later, Rob talked with the previous owner who told him that the water pump had been replaced about four years ago (which is what Don said, that it looked it might have been). At that time, it is thought that when they replaced it back then, they also did the engine block flush, which might explain why the flush came out looking good this time...

As it turned out, they found that the PO had set the timing to 0 degrees! So they changed it to 10 but because of all the rain and lower temps, they have not been able to test it yet. But in the next few days our rain is supposed to go away and the temps back into the 90+ degree range. They intend to give her a good, long drive with the AC on and she how she does. If not that good, John has suggested they drop the timing to 9 deg. and see how that goes.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781

Last edited by YellowRose : 09-16-2018 at 03:42 AM.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:33 AM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

Took the Bird out to the TBird Pageant in Anaheim, CA today and ran the AC in both directions. Temps got up to about 86F outside, and with the AC on full blast, the engine temps would get up to the "P", but that really doesn't bother me any more. The AC was worth more than the temperature gauge. When I got home, it was still up around the "P" on the gauge, but I checked everything I could with a temp gun and the highest I could find was 210F. With a 13 PSI pressure cap on the radiator and 50/50 mix of antifreeze, this shouldn't be a problem. Having the AC was well worth it after spending 5 hours in the sun in the park. I also noticed how many other owners had put 6 ot 7 blade flex fans on their cars. I do have the shroud and a 6 blade flex fan.
Nyles
Old 09-20-2018, 07:20 PM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

I have abandoned trying to drain the block using the drain plugs. After managing to work the driver's side petcock loose and open 3-4 turns, nothing drained out. Poked up in there with a piece of wire - NADA. Since the right side is reportedly even more of a PITA to deal with, and with the results potentially disappointing, any further messing with the drain plugs will be down the road...

Next up, remove the exp tank and water pump and see how that works for flushing the block. Gaskets and new thermostat on order.

Meanwhile this is a fine opportunity to clean up the left side of the engine compartment along with the front. I tidied up the right side a couple months back, while having the heater core repaired. 58 years worth of crud. Here's before and after.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B4_1.JPG (134.6 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg After_2.JPG (134.6 KB, 122 views)
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 09-21-2018, 09:06 AM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Don fine work on the engine compartment Good stuff.
58HT #33317
60 HT (Sold )
Old 09-21-2018, 07:32 PM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

Default radiator side seal

Thanks Dano! I really enjoy this sort of work because I find the payback to be amazing! Such a pleasure to install all new bumpers and gaskets and getting it back to looking nice. Since the rad will be like new or better when back from the shop, I'm planning to re-install the orig white 4 blade fan & proper spacer. I had installed a 6 blade fan and a 2 piece shroud (that I never really liked) years back but I'm hoping with a re-cored rad I should be able to go back to the stock fan config.

Meanwhile, does anyone know a suitable replacement for these vertical radiator side seals? I've checked the vendors but they don't seem to be being reproduced for 58-60. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vertical_Radiator_side_seal.JPG (134.8 KB, 114 views)
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042