X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ramos291
    Apprentice
    • Sep 18 2014

shutter/vibration

Hey auto guys or gals. I have taken the 61 tbird to the shop because it has a whole car shaking vibration at 60 mph. It also had a shuttering vibration at take off but went away at about 25 mph. I am told the alignment is good in the front end even after I replaced majority of the components. Mechanics feel the shutter vibration at start up is in the differential. The drive shaft is balanced and U joints I believe are ok. They did find a rear wheel bearing bad and replaced it but can not get the start up shutter to go away. They are thinking about trying a diff from a 63 Galaxy if the splines in the axle are the same. I am not sure this is the direction I should take. What are your thoughts or suggeston?
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

Had a similar vibration on my '60 Tbird but not at take off.

Tried a bunch of the same things - had the drive shaft balanced, u - joints, tires, rear wheel bearings.

Believe it or not - mine mostly went away when I recently replaced the rear shocks (went with a heavy duty style). I think the small vibration that is left on my car is in the rear transmission bushing since it happens mostly at higher speeds. Don't the '61's still have the Cruise-O-Matic? Might need to look at that rear bushing. Not sure on your diff compatibility - hope the other folks here know.

Good luck - let us know what you find
    Eric

Comment

• bird 60
      Super-Experienced
      • Mar 18 2009

Randy, you state that you "believe" the U joints are Ok. It could be a lot of things but the U joints play a big roll. Double check, & if you feel they need changing they are inexpensive & easy to replace.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

I'm with Chris on the U-joints. Also suspect tire/wheel/drum balance. Rotate your tires to see if the fault moves.
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• ramos291
          Apprentice
          • Sep 18 2014

good advice sir. Thank you

Comment

• ramos291
            Apprentice
            • Sep 18 2014

thank you Eric. I stopped by the shop today and they had it on the lift working on it. I myself saw that the u bolts on the axle were cocked with some gaping on one outer one and inner one on the other side. idk if that is an issue or not. they are going to adjust them.

Comment

• ramos291
              Apprentice
              • Sep 18 2014

So Ive had the bird back home for a few weeks now. The shutter vibration at start off is gone now. The shop found a bad rear axle bearing bad and switched out the diff. from another axle. I also got some new rims and tires on it. All in all the bird is running better for sure

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Glad to hear that you got the vibration problem sorted out. Seems it's always one step forward, two steps backward when dealing with old cars. Hopefully it's clear sailing from here.

John
                John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎