X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Friendships On Squarebirds.org!

Over the last number of years, there have been some great friendships that have developed between our members in this country, and others across the pond, or on the same continent with each other. For the last week or two, Mr. & Mrs. Yellowbird ~ Leonard & Debbie have been off visiting Mr. & Mrs. scumdog ~ Tom & Christine down in the Land Of The Long White Cloud, New Zealand again! Over the last few years they have traveled back and forth visiting each other and building a great bond of friendship by doing so. After arriving there, Leonard sent me a picture of him with Tom & Christine's '66 Flairbird telling me they had arrived. Then Tom sent me this, telling me that Leonard & Debbie had arrived safely back home again.

"Hi Ray, My wife Christine and I carried on after dropping the Wheelers off yesterday and today we are at Waitangi (pronounced Why tang ee) and thought this shot would look good on Squarebirds. The ship in the photo is a massive cruise ship that is dropping off 100s of tourists wanting to visit the area. Regards, Tom"

Here are two pix, one of Leonard supporting Tom's Flairbird, and one taken by Tom while on their vacation.
    Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • scumdog
    Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Thanks!

Thanks for posting those photos Ray!
    Actually in the top photo its me leaning against the Flairbird - probably checking the Squarebird site on my phone!
    A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

LOL, I thought it was Leonard. That was the impression I wrongly got from his email! Thanks for clearing that up!

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• scumdog
        Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

For those that care (as well as for those that don't!) Christine and I are still cruising the North Island in our Flairbird, on Saturday we're off to see the Dixie Chicks at Napier.

Then sadly it's a thousand mile drive back home, oh, I've been doing an economy check on the Thunderbird and my gas mileage is up around 17+mpg (Imperial gallons!) so if it stays like that I'll be a happy man!

Comment

• Dan Leavens
          Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

my gas mileage is up around 17+mpg (Imperial gallons!) so if it stays like that I'll be a happy man!

Tom 17+ mpg is excellent on these old gals. Are you running a Carter and if so what cfm?
          Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
          Thunderbird Registry
          58HT #33317
          60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Tom ~ scumdog & Christine are still on the road in New Zealand! Here is what Tom had to say and a couple of pix.

Hi Ray, Christine and I are slowly making our way home after over three weeks on the road! The first photograph is of Christine and our Flairbird on the way to Wangaroa (pronounced won ga ro a) it is a small area where guys head off to fish for marlin, broad bills and tuna. The second pic is outside the Wangaroa pub. A few minutes after the pic was taken a large branch fell free from that palm tree and narrowly missed our Thunderbird! Needless to say I moved the Thunderbird real quick! Regards, Tom
            Attached Files

Comment

• scumdog
              Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Dan Leavens
              my gas mileage is up around 17+mpg (Imperial gallons!) so if it stays like that I'll be a happy man!

Tom 17+ mpg is excellent on these old gals. Are you running a Carter and if so what cfm?
              Nope, not a Carter, just a fully rebuilt 4100! - the same carb that the car left Wixom with in 1966.

I decided to get it fully rebuilt after reading about Edelbrocks, Holleys etc and I'm glad I did, the motor runs smoothly, the acceleration is great and well you know about the gas mileage!

The rebuild was done in Texas but as I'm the road I don't have the rebuilders details.

Comment

• Yellowbird
                Experienced

• Jun 18 2009

Dano,
                The rebuilder of Tom's 4100 is Dynamic Industries in Ft. Worth TX. He has done a lot of work for my friends and have never had a complaint.
                sigpic

Comment

• Dan Leavens

• Oct 4 2006

Leonard thanks and I will keep info on Dynamic in my file.
                  Thunderbird Registry
                  58HT #33317
                  60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Almost Home Tom Sez!

Tom ~ scumdog and Christine are on the last leg of their nearly 3,000 mile trip in their Flairbird, approaching home. Here is what he had to say, along with some pix he took today.

"Hi Ray, Well almost 3000 miles added to the Thunderbird and all going well we will be home tomorrow. Tonight we are staying in a motel in Springfield - and not a Simpson in sight!!
                    We crossed the Southern Alps earlier, some mighty steep grades there, the 390 was working hard! I though I'd share these three photos, one of the pics shows my perspective when driving a left steer car on the left side of the road, the other photos show some of the Alps with the start of the fall colours appearing on the trees. I'll send a bit of information about how the Thunderbird went once I have got back home in Balclutha, about 475 miles away. Regards, Tom."
                    Attached Files

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Tom ~ scumdog and Christine have made it back home again safely. Here is what he had to say and a pic of his odometer when he started this 3,000 mile trip!

"Hi Ray, Finally home, the start of the international adventure had the odometer reading of 25585.6 and you can see for yourself the final reading in the photo!
                      Now for some info that may shock those of a delicate nature:
                      When I got my rebuilt carb back I bolted it on, hooked up the fuel line, choke tube and throttle linkages - that's it. I didn't adjust anything other than the idle speed.
                      And when I got the new vacuum can for my distributor I bolted it on, put the distributor back in the motor, hooked up the vacuum line and after fitting the carb as per above I fired up the motor.
                      I had marked where the distributor had been before removing it and set it to that mark. I let the motor warm up a bit, did a quick road test and retarded the timing a 'couple' of degrees as it would 'pink' under hard acceleration. And that was the total of my 'tuning' before the Wheelers arrived and we set off for the Beach Hop!! And the car ran great. More later if anybody is interested. Regards, Tom."

Here is that pic of his odometer.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• YellowRose
                        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Tom ~ scumdog, sent me another note and pic of his pretty '66 Flairbird. Here is what he had to say.

"Hi, Thought I'd post this photo of our '66 Town Landau at Kaka Point, our nearest beach town after its first wash since getting home from the Beach Hop. As it's just on winter here it was too cold to go into the sea so we had some chowder at the cafe behind the 'bird. Just a nice cruise on a fine day. Love from us in The Land of the Long White Cloud. Tom"

Here is that pic!
                        Attached Files

Comment

• simplyconnected
                          Administrator
                          • May 26 2009

Today is Memorial Day, a day set aside to remember our fallen. It's a reminder that freedom comes at a very high cost. The result of their sacrifice is the very reason we enjoy many countless forms of liberty.

This site is a great example. The Internet is available to everyone here and in many countries around the world. Without it, many of Squarebird.org's international friendships would not be.

I'm counting my blessings, here. I heard a newsman on TV who said, wishing any one a 'happy Memorial Day' is wrong and politically incorrect and that this is a solemn and reverent observance, not a 'happy' occasion. I agree BUT I also know that our brave soldiers paid the ultimate price so we can be free to enjoy this day that God has made.

May God's peace and love surround all my international Squarebird brothers and sisters. Allow them to build even more friendships on this site, in the free and giving spirit that Alexander founded for us. - Dave
                          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dan Leavens

• Oct 4 2006

Dave a very nice post and so very true.

This site is a great example. The Internet is available to everyone here and in many countries around the world. Without it, many of Squarebird.org's international friendships would not be.
                            Thunderbird Registry
                            58HT #33317
                            60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍