Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skybluethunderbird1960
    • Aug 18 2015

1960 Tbird Ashtray question

It seems like the ash tray inside my 1960 Tbird is missing the metal insert. I can't verify this since I can't find a picture of the inside of the ash tray. Mine has like a slit space inside it which gives me the impression that the insert is missing. Could someone show me a picture of what the inside of the ashtray is suppose to look like? Thank you
  • olevet
    Experienced
    • Jan 28 2015

Originally posted by skybluethunderbird1960
    It seems like the ash tray inside my 1960 Tbird is missing the metal insert. I can't verify this since I can't find a picture of the inside of the ash tray. Mine has like a slit space inside it which gives me the impression that the insert is missing. Could someone show me a picture of what the inside of the ashtray is suppose to look like? Thank you
    Let me get another cup of coffee in me and I will go take a pic
    for you.

Comment

• olevet
      Experienced
      • Jan 28 2015

There are 2 and yes there is an insert or the actual ashtray it's self this is a pic of one I bought and not done anything with yet

I can't post the pic because I can't resize it

But yes there are 2
      I have them if you need them

Comment

• Tbird1044
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 31 2012

Here is a picture of what the insert looks like. The plate next to the insert is something I made to mount switches in the ashtray. Since I don't smoke and no one ever will my car, the plate replaces the ashtray insert. ;-)
        I have an extra insert if you can't find one.
        Nyles
        Attached Files

Comment

• olevet
          Experienced
          • Jan 28 2015

Originally posted by Tbird1044
          Here is a picture of what the insert looks like. The plate next to the insert is something I made to mount switches in the ashtray. Since I don't smoke and no one ever will my car, the plate replaces the ashtray insert. ;-)
          Nyles
          Great idea on those switches, Im the same way about smoking in Mine , WHEN i get it going again LOL
          Like I told him I have a few extras laying around also
          What do those switches control?

Comment

• Tbird1044
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 31 2012

1. Power door locks
            2. Power Antenna
            3. Electric fuel Pump
            4. LED Map light under Radio
            ;-)
            Nyles

Comment

• sidewalkman
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by Tbird1044
              Nyles
              Hey Nyles

How hard was it to make those inserts? I am adding a couple of push button switches for inside lights in the front ashtray and a couple of 12V charging points in the rear and that insert is perfect? What's it made out of and factor in I suck at fabrication!
              Scott
              South Delta, BC, Canada
              1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
              Red Leather Interior!
              www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
              Thunderbird Registry #61266
              http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Tbird1044
                Super-Experienced
                • Jul 31 2012

It wasn't too difficult to make. I think I saved the template for form.
                I made it out of a piece of stainless steel, bent it, and then put it on the buffer to shine it up. The touchest was to cut the rectangular slots for the switches. I used a cutting wheel on my dremel to cut the slots.
                It you want me to mail you the template, let me know.
                Nyles

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 30 2009

Were lighted ashtrays an option back then? My car's ashtrays have clips that hold a bulb; and a circular pattern of little holes in the ashtray catch bin to let the light shine through and into it.

The wiring harness was old as dirt, so I assumed it was original. I have it working again; although only the rear ashtray remains in my car due to the aftermarket shifter being on the console.
                  http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• sidewalkman
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by Dakota Boy
                    Were lighted ashtrays an option back then? My car's ashtrays have clips that hold a bulb; and a circular pattern of little holes in the ashtray catch bin to let the light shine through and into it.

The wiring harness was old as dirt, so I assumed it was original. I have it working again; although only the rear ashtray remains in my car due to the aftermarket shifter being on the console.
                    Mine has the small bulb, same one as the dash lights that fits in a little holder that clips into the ashtray. Ebay has one at a stupid expensive price but it shows what it looks like.

I always thought if you could graft the small auto shifter from a Baby Bird into the console it would look really slick!
                    Scott
                    South Delta, BC, Canada
                    1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
                    Red Leather Interior!
                    www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
                    Thunderbird Registry #61266
                    http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢