X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OUR5T8BIRD
    Experienced
    • Mar 1 2017

Originally posted by tbirdmike63
    I heard you can open up the turn signal indicator unit under the dash and bend a prong to get a better connection, I should try that, I see where it is located, getting it out might be a challenge.
    The sequential lights work good, no burnt out bulbs, I have a feeling it's the underdash unit, will see I guess.
    If your indicator light works on one side and not the other side , keep in mind that the signal , after the relay goes through the signal switch on your steering column , so if one side works and the other side does not , most likely your signal relay is o/k . Problem could be in the signal switch .

Comment

• tbirdmike63
      Experienced
      • May 4 2017

Both fender indicators freeze up when alot accessories are turned on, the right one is worse, but they both do it, the light stays on and pulses. If I rev the motor they tend to start flashing, once I stop revving, they freeze again.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Everything goes through the sequential unit in the trunk. I would first check to make sure you have a solid ground going to it. Both the turn signal flasher/motor and the turn signal relay can be problematic after all these years. I've had turn signal relays with broken and loose solder joints that I've had to repair. I've had motors that stop working when the voltage drops slightly due to accessories being turned on. Most likely the new solid state flasher assembly will fix your problem but it's an expensive fix. Have you checked your alternator to make sure it's putting out sufficient voltage under load.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• tbirdmike63
          Experienced
          • May 4 2017

Alternator is new, last time I checked it was putting out sufficient voltage, everything in the rear of the car seems to be working properly. I will double check the ground in the rear by the sequential unit and the solder points, but I think I will probably have to bite the bullet and buy the new turn signal unit, $95.00 on eBay, anywhere I can get it cheaper?

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Where did you see the unit for $95? The electronic replacements are around $230.

John

Comment

• tbirdmike63
              Experienced
              • May 4 2017

I thought that I only need to replace the turn signal unit under the dash.

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                Experienced
                • May 4 2017

Actually, it's called indicator relay.

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                  Experienced
                  • May 4 2017

Item number 272256637096, let me know if you think this would work on my car. Thanks!

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

My experience is that the relay under the dash either works or it doesn't work. If the lights stop blinking under load then it's probably not the relay. It's most likely the flasher unit or sequential relay in the trunk. You're probably just throwing $95 away replacing the relay.

John

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by tbirdmike63
                      Item number 272256637096, let me know if you think this would work on my car. Thanks!
                      You can buy a modern relay for a few bucks and make some pigtail jumpers to replace the mechanical relay under the dash. It's a lot cheaper than $95.

John

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                        Experienced
                        • May 4 2017

Interesting, I remember seeing an artical where someone opened up the relay and inside there are like contact points, you can slightly bend them closer together to get them working again. Maybe I'm way off on this and it is in the trunk, I hope not.

Comment

• jopizz
                          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Just bypass the relay using a jumper wire in the plug. If the turn signals work then that's your problem. I wouldn't leave it that way for too long.

John

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                            Experienced
                            • May 4 2017

I wouldn't know how to do that, I am not electronically savy, I would need a diagram or I would make things worse! Haha

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                              Experienced
                              • May 4 2017

The turn signals do work, front and rear, just the fender indicators freeze when alot of accessories are on. Would that procedure still work to check the fender indicators? If so, please be more specific on how to do it. Thanks

Comment

• jopizz
                                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Do you have a test light or voltmeter? Remove the relay, turn the key on and put the turn signals on. Check each of the three prongs in the relay socket with the light or voltmeter. You will have voltage on two of them and nothing on the third. Turn the key off and put a jumper wire from one of the terminals that has power to the terminal that doesn't have power. Start the car and check the turn signals with the accessories on. If the indicators don't freeze up then the relay is the problem. If they still freeze then it's not the relay.

John

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎