Clear All
  • Eric S
    Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

C A R F A X

Hello
    I tried to enter the VIN numbers for my 2 cars
    0Y71Y136378 - 0Y71Y102432
    On CARFAX and it does not show anything.

I am not familiar with Carfax. I have been told everycar should be in there.
    What does not being there can mean?
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

CARFAX rarely applies to classic cars because most of their history was around before computers. To read about CARFAX, would lead you to believe they know everything about all cars until you get to this CARFAX statement:

"CARFAX does not have the complete history of every vehicle. A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. Other information about the vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX."

Then, we find out that CARFAX only applies to cars in the USA and Canada. From all that, we can understand that cars included in computer-age databases are the ONLY ones CARFAX may have a report for. I have two cars that will not show on CARFAX and two that may (but I don't know until I pay to find out).

To me, CARFAX is not needed. I have bought and sold many cars before CARFAX was around. I know what to look for and where to look. Simple tools like a small magnet will identify plastic and lead body filler. I only buy cars with a title. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

Even though they say they have info about every car - pretty sure the carfax only applies to the 17 digit VIN vehicles after 1981.

Here's another one of their "disclaimers". Notice the part I highlighted in red.

" In 1954, automakers began using a vehicle identification number (VIN) for each vehicle they produced. Between 1954 and 1981, there was no standard format and VINs varied considerably between manufacturers. Under standards set by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), every car and light truck model year 1981 or later has a unique 17-digit VIN in a fixed format.

Why was this standardization necessary? It was done to ensure that no car was ever mistaken for another. The 17 digits in a car’s VIN reveal specific information, including the vehicle’s year, make, model, country of origin, assembly plant and more. The VIN also enables you to run a CARFAX Vehicle History Report on vehicles sold since the 1981 model year. "

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

C A R F A X

Eric, a check of the Thunderbird Registry shows that neither or your Tbirds VIN #'s are listed in it. I suggest that you take the time to enter the VIN #, Data Plate information, your ownership of these two Tbird into the Registry. John Rotella runs it and his goal is to record the whereabouts and history of every Tbird ever built. Adding yours to the Registry will assist in his project that he has been doing for years. You can enter them directly from our Forum. Go to the Technical Resource Library (TRL), do a Ctrl F (F for Find). Type in Thunderbird Registry and it will take you right to it. Since I already know that your two Tbirds are not registered in it, go to the link to Register them, (one at a time), and go through the process. In a few days, he will update his Registry and the history as you know it of your Tbirds will be registered.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Originally posted by DKheld
          ...The VIN also enables you to run a CARFAX Vehicle History Report on vehicles sold since the 1981 model year. "
          Originally posted by simplyconnected
          ...From all that, we can understand that cars included in computer-age databases are the ONLY ones CARFAX may have a report for...
          That's my point. The computer age facilitated this database. Before then, dealerships used catalogs and worksheets. CARFAX info gathering would have been far too expensive before computers.

The same applies to the Thunderbird Registry. Can you imagine, trying to keep up with changes using paperwork? - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Eric S
            Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Ray

you did well to remind me about the registry.
            Will try to do it soon.

Thank you all for the explanations on what Car Fax can (and can not) do.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎