No announcement yet.

'59 Thunderbird wreck

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

'59 Thunderbird wreck

Hey guys, Ron Dietzler was driving his beloved '59 Thunderbird. He was hit by a Hummer traveling at a high rate of speed. He has a concussion, broken neck and broken arm. Please pray for Ron and his wife Julie as he recovers. Judie wrote "I have some news I would like to share with you. I am Ron's wife and Ron was on this way to a car show in his beloved 1959 Thunderbird Saturday morning and a drunk driver in a Hummer traveling approximately 100 mph hit the TBird. Ron is in the Trauma Unit at St. Alphonsus Hospital in Boise Idaho. He has a concussion, head trauma, 3 broken bones in his neck, His left arm was so broken it took pins, screws and plates to put it back together. He needs to wear a neck brace for a couple of months and not move his neck or he could be paralyzed. He needs to learn to do daily activities and dress using his right hand since he is left handed. Thanks to his administrators for helping take up the slack and welcoming new members while he is laid up. He adored that TBird since I bought it for him for Christmas the 2nd. year we were married. He really misses communicating with every one.
    The state troopers didn't think anyone could survive the crash but both the TBird and Ron are strong........and maybe Ron had a special co-pilot or guardian angel.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; May 21, 2016, 04:44 PM.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

My prayers are with Ron Dietzler and his family. I hope it's God's will that he pull through this terrible collision.

Thank You, Richard Hord, for the info and any future updates you get. I'm eager to know how Ron recovers. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Thank God he had seat belts installed. I doubt he would've survived without them.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• bird 60
        Super-Experienced
        • Mar 18 2009

Sorry about the bad news. Hoping for a quick & full recovery.

Chris......From OZ.

Comment

• DKheld
          Super-Experienced
          • Aug 27 2008

Wow.....speechless.....

I drive mine on the interstate quite often.

Even the front hubcap looks bent.

Hope he recovers quickly.

Eric

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

'59 Thunderbird wreck

I received the bare essentials of this accident just as I was about to go out the door to a granddaughters High School graduation. Richard asked me where to post this, and I suggested here. I was shocked to see the pictures, and the damage to both the car and to Ron. I suspect that seat belts and the material that '59 is made with, and his "copilot" had a lot to do with his survival. He and his family will be in my prayers as he recovers. As for his beloved Squarebird........

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Dan Leavens
              Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Our thoughts and prayers are with Ron for a speedy recovery. The pictures are sure nasty and as mentioned seat belts were probably one of the factors that lessened the potential risk as it certainly could have been a lot worse.
              Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
              Thunderbird Registry
              58HT #33317
              60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• scumdog
                Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Best wishes from us Kiwis, so sad for you and your Squarebird.
                A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• RustyNCa
                  Super-Experienced
                  • May 31 2007

Originally posted by jopizz
                  Thank God he had seat belts installed. I doubt he would've survived without them.

John
                  Yeah, I saw photos of this on facebook and agree. Did he install just lap belts or shoulder belts as well?

Looks like he got forced into the median and then rolled it over? The birds are solid old cars, but it's very good to see one help him survive a wreck like that.

Comment

• Yadkin
                    Banned
                    • Aug 11 2012

Thoughts out to Ron.

Nice to see the old Bird did it's job, protecting the driver. Cars of this era weren't built with crash protection like we have today. Being unibody, and it's gas tank isolated from the passenger compartment and mounted over the rear axle, I've always thought that the TBird would fare better than most. I think this example gives credence to that.

As a 'hard top', however, the roof is the weak point of any protective barrier. No roll over protection. Ron is lucky.

Comment

• tbird430
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jun 18 2007

I too have been following this on Facebook forum. I wonder if there are any updates as to his healing??

-Jon in TX.
                      sigpic
                      The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Good news!

Ron posted this today on Facebook. God is good! Ron Dietzler, I got home from the trauma and rehab hospital today . lost my glasses in the crash and won,t get new news for a few days so limited on the computer plus my typing hand arm is busted up and in a cast

Comment

• Yadkin
                          Banned
                          • Aug 11 2012

This couple here in their '58 Chevy were not so lucky.

By Shavonne Walker shavonne.walker@salisburypost.com CHINA GROVE — A Kannapolis man was killed and his wife was injured during a two-vehicle collision Monday in the 9400 block of Old Concord Road, less than a mile from Bostian Heights Fire Department. Highway Patrol officials have not released the names, but say the man was driving and was […]

Comment

Judie Dietzler posted this on facebook. Thanks to all of my friends and business associates and especially my "Diva Buddies" that have been by my side ant the prayers, cards and hospital visits since May 14 when a drunk driver hit my husband in a HUMMER going close to 100 mph on Highway 84 as he was going to a car show in Payette, Idaho @ 7:30 in the morning.
                            The state troopers didn't think Ron would survive but by a miracle he did. The other insurance company asked if anyone else was in the car and I said YES, there was one other person.....God.
                            Please continue your prayers......It will be a long recovery. He has many injuries. Among them, he broke 3 bones in his neck and will need to wear a neck brace for an extended period of time. If he moves his neck he could be totally paralyzed.
                            He broke his left arm so severely that it took pins, screws and plates to put it back together and a concussion that caused horrible headaches plus much more. But he is alive........Every time he sees pictures of his TBird flattened on the Freeway he cries.....I gave him that car for Christmas the second year we were married and it has won a ton of awards. I went to Payette to salvage what I could from the car. That drunk driver destroyed a very important part of our history when he thoughtlessly got behind the wheel of a $100,000 WEAPON and aimed it for Payette, Idaho and my husband almost died.......SO IF YOU SEE SOMEONE THAT HAS BEEN DRINKING CALL THEM A CAB OR TAKE THEIR KEYS AWAY FROM THEM OR YOU MAY ALSO FEEL THE GUILT WHEN YOU READ THAT SOMEONE YOU KNOW CRITICALLY INJURED A FAMILY, A COUPLE, A CHILD, OR SOMEONE YOU LOVE.

WE ALL HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY TO CARE.................I don't want to see another family go through this kind of pain. Together we can make a difference

Comment

• lexdownunder
                              Apprentice
                              • Sep 7 2010

That's a very well said post on facebook by Judie Dietzler.

Like the old saying, "of all the parts that make up a car, it's still the nut behind the wheel that is the biggest problem".

Our thoughts & prayers go out to Judie & Ron with wishes for a speedy & full recovery for Ron.

Lex & Susan
                              Tasmania

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎