Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shelby1962
    • Oct 20 2018

1969 T-bird....need a little help

Just picked up a 69 and it is not charging. I’ve owned quite a few Fords but this has me stumped, can’t find the voltage regulator. Where did they hide it? I’ve always seen the regulator on same harness as the alternator and not far away.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It should be easy to see. Any chance it was changed to an internally regulated alternator. Trace the wire from the BAT terminal of the alternator. If it goes directly to the solenoid then it's internally regulated.

John
    Last edited by jopizz; October 20, 2018, 07:01 PM.
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If there is one it should be behind the driver side headlights.

John

Comment

• Shelby1962
        • Oct 20 2018

John- I took a look at the car and the alternator is externally regulated. On most Fords the alternator wiring has a flat connector the hooks to the regulator near the battery. This does not. On the divers side there is the large vacuum tank for the retractable lights and a medium sized “soup” vacuum can along with the washer bottle. No sign of a regulator or the flat connector to plug one in. Still at a loss.

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Here's what the parts diagram shows. As you can see the regulator is located somewhere near the driver side headlights.

John
          Attached Files

Comment

• Shelby1962
            • Oct 20 2018

John-thanks for diagram. Must be hidden behind the washer bottle. I’ll mess with it later in the week.
            Do you happen to have the vacuum diagram as well? Two of the lines are disconnected from the hideaway headlights.

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

See if this helps.

John
              Attached Files

Comment

• Shelby1962
                • Oct 20 2018

Perfect...I’m missing the valve in “F” . Probably some sort of check valve. Now to try and find one.
                Thanks

Comment

• Wade
                  • Sep 4 2013

Originally posted by Shelby1962
                  Just picked up a 69 and it is not charging. I’ve owned quite a few Fords but this has me stumped, can’t find the voltage regulator. Where did they hide it? I’ve always seen the regulator on same harness as the alternator and not far away.
                  I bought '69 brand new had a 429 in it that wouldn't quit. The regulator is on the back of the alternator . It is very small from what was normal size at that time. It is held on by a couple nuts directly on the terminals and I seem to remember it had a single small wire plugged on it. It is like a flat piece of epoxy plastic. I think it had plastic caps that had to be popped off to expose the nuts, not real sure been 40+ years. Didn't have to remove alternator was an easy job. Just found a picture

Last edited by Wade; November 13, 2018, 01:08 PM. Reason: Added anothe sentence and picture

Comment

• Shelby1962
                    • Oct 20 2018

Wade- took a look at my alternator this morning, it does not have that style of regulator. There is the standard harness for that time period.
                    I still can’t find the regulator.

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Shelby1962
                      I still can’t find the regulator.
                      Have you tried tracing the wire from the BAT term of the alternator. It has to go somewhere.

John

Comment

• Wade
                        • Sep 4 2013

Apparently there were two versions used during that year. Maybe someone attempted to convert from one style to the other and gave up before the changeover was completed.

Comment

• Shelby1962
                          • Oct 20 2018

I’ve traced the harness off of the alternator to the right inner fender, from there it goes the the radiator support and gets wrapped up into harness for the headlights, over to the drivers side. The wiring diagram shows the regulator on the drivers side of the radiator support. It’s not there, nor is the connector or even room to mount one. I need to keep looking.
                          I’ve been focused on the suspension and brakes. The car sat in a garage for 25 years so I need to replace everything on the brakes, shocks,

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎