X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fireball
    Apprentice
    • Nov 17 2012

Valve stem seals

Todays task was to change stem seals, these were my key to success. I made an adapter from old sparkplug to pressurize the cylinder.

Not much left of the old ones

I've used better tools but this one was quite OK too

Less than three hours they were all changed
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Good job! Next, take your rocker shafts off and clean out all the oil holes, in the rocker arms and shafts. CLICK HERE Back in the day we used non-detergent oil. Sediment filled the rocker arm holes and eventually plugged them. A small drill bit or stiff steel wire will open them again. Old stagnant oil remains in the shafts that turns to light grease. Be careful, it will not come out of your clothes. This cleaning costs nothing to do. If you find your shafts are worn, they are available at the parts stores.

I never liked the 'umbrella' seals from back in the day. They harden, split, travel with the valve stem and sometimes they break. In any case, they sure don't do a very good job of holding oil back.

Modern heads use Viton seals. They have a circular spring that holds them on the tower and they don't harden. The old stuff was made from straight neoprene.

Keep up the good work. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎