Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

perhaps they didnt want the competition to learn those tricks either
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Ford, like all the car companies, purchased this part by the millions. That means everybody knew how to assemble/disassemble 'em. Now here we come fifty years later, learning amazing revelations the old mechanics forgot about decades ago.

I looked up this part in the MPC and realized since '54, Ford used the same roller for front, rear and tailgate glass in all Ford cars, Edsel, Mercury, Lincoln, vans, trucks, etc. Note that Ford always sold more trucks than cars.

The competition did the exact same thing because, well, why not? - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Tbird1044
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 31 2012

Installing Door Glass

Originally posted by simplyconnected
        On the production line, door glass came in containers. The glass was assembled with the bottom track with two rollers already installed. Remember, this must go fast. The assembler installed and set one door per minute.

He grabbed glass out of the container, ran it over to the moving car, slid it down the door opening sideways, turned it and popped the scissors pins into all three rollers. Of course, the vent frame and lock-side track was already there but loose.

- Dave
        There is no way in "H" "E" double LL that I will ever get the door glass back in to the door in a minute. I'll be lucky to get it back in period. I do think the trick of putting the rollers in the tracks and then pushing the pins into the rollers may help, but I'll find that out when I go back together. The door glass is the easy one when compared to the rear quarter window. I'm just taking it one step at a time. I need to get everything apart to get the chrome parts into the chrome shop, but I hate to tear everything apart, so I have nothing to compare it to. The digital camera is going to have to be my savior.
        Nyles

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Not only do they set one per minute, production workers make it look easy.

It's like watching a rhapsody... no motion is wasted and the assemblers pace themselves so they don't go too fast or too slow.

If you only set glass all day, after the learning curve was over, you could do 500 per day. Production work is incredibly demanding with safety and quality at the top of the order. Not many can sustain the mental anguish from repetition. Even 'runners' mentally put themselves somewhere else as the mechanics of running becomes automatic. After doing thousands of doors, no thinking is involved.

Oh, BTW, these guys are only charging less that a dollar per door. See if you can get a professional to set your door glass for fifty times that much. ...and I hear folks say auto workers make too much money... right... - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Anders
            Super-Experienced
            • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by simplyconnected
            Not only do they set one per minute, production workers make it look easy.

It's like watching a rhapsody... no motion is wasted and the assemblers pace themselves so they don't go too fast or too slow.

If you only set glass all day, after the learning curve was over, you could do 500 per day. Production work is incredibly demanding with safety and quality at the top of the order. Not many can sustain the mental anguish from repetition. Even 'runners' mentally put themselves somewhere else as the mechanics of running becomes automatic. After doing thousands of doors, no thinking is involved.

Oh, BTW, these guys are only charging less that a dollar per door. See if you can get a professional to set your door glass for fifty times that much. ...and I hear folks say auto workers make too much money... right... - Dave
            If this was Facebook, I would press the "Like" button here
            sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
            http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Brass Window Rollers?

Hi Anders, you CAN "like" this thread by rating it! Go to the "Rate Thread" tab and give it the number of stars you think it deserves!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• c4clewis
                Experienced
                • Aug 18 2010

I've had the glass out 2 times now. 17 years ago when I first painted the car, and last year when it was repainted. Both times I've nicked the paint getting the vent window back in. When I did it last year more than a few expletives escaped my mouth as I remembered the lesson from the first time.

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I always put some masking tape along the top edge. That usually does the trick.

John
                  John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                  jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• djberson
                    Experienced
                    • Jun 10 2012

Can anyone clarify if these rollers are for both electric AND manual windows?

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

Yep, one size fits all Ford, Lincoln, Mercury car windows and tailgate windows, front and rear windows, truck windows and probably more than I listed. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Tbird1044
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jul 31 2012

I've had 2 brass rollers made and need to get more. When I look at how the regulator works with the rollers, it appears that the rollers are really slides in the channels and the pin that the roller is connected to is the only bearing surface that rotates. Am I correct?

Nyles

Comment

• simplyconnected
                          Administrator
                          • May 26 2009

The steel pin is staked onto the arms. The roller rotates on the pin. The spring clip keeps the roller from drifting in or out. Look at the pictures in post #2.

The original rollers are stampings and hollow in the middle of the bearing surface (I want to call it a bore, but it's not). So, the stationary pin only rides on the very front and rear of the roller. As you crank (or the electric motor turns), the coil spring snugly traps the upper and bottom rails in a 'V'. This creates 'interference by design' and the roller might turn in either direction as the window goes up, for example.

The design is simple but it works well. Brass rollers have a real bore, giving full surface contact with the pin. Hope this helps. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• V-John
                            Experienced
                            • Mar 22 2013

Has the Brass Roller Man ever make it back home yet? I tried some of the new nylon ones and they suck (one broke). I'm about ready to order the steel rollers from CASCO, but was wondering if the brass ones are available again.
                            1959 Thunderbird - Thunderbird Registry #46052

Comment

• Tbird1044
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Jul 31 2012

John;
                              I've been asking the same question. I had a source for the rollers, but it dried up before I got the set made. I am working with another machine shop here in L.A. to make me a set. Haven't suceeded yet. If anyone has a source please let us know and if I find a shop to make some, I'll post the source. I'm getting closer to installing the glass back in the car.
                              Nyles

Comment

• V-John
                                Experienced
                                • Mar 22 2013

After spending 5 hours getting the rear 1/4 window and hardware in, and adjusting, adjusting, and adjusting, these cheap nylon rollers would warp and pop out of the channels. I haven't taken the other window out yet. I look at it and drop my head with a big sigh.
                                1959 Thunderbird - Thunderbird Registry #46052

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎