No announcement yet.

So on the swap to 390

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

So on the swap to 390

When I am looking for the parts to match it up with my cruis-o-matic how would I identify the parts to the part store? Speaking of flywheel and pressure plate?
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Automatic transmissions don't have a flywheel and pressure plate; just a flexplate. You want one with 184 teeth if you are going to use the newer type starter. Most Fords from 1966 and up used the newer flexplate/starter combo. One from a 1966 Thunderbird will work.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Ok

so pressure plate. Is this the only thing that would need to be found for the trans to match up? As you can see, I am a newbie with anything much beyond basic maintenance, and so sourcing parts from different years I am not sure what I need to be telling these folks. "I need a 390 pressure plate that will work with cruise o matic"....will just get me eyeballed at most stores since they are sourcing parts via a part number or year make and model vehicle specific. Run into this a bunch trying to get parts for my dodge RV motor from the 70's. Closest parts store for me is forty miles each way, so I am trying to save running back and forth like a crazy person if I can...

So basically I am telling them I need an alternator and starter for a early seventies F series truck as well as a pressure plate for a 390 to a Cruise o matic? Or would the starter need to be an earlier Thunderbird specific model which came equipped with a 390?

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You need a flexplate, not a pressure plate. Just go into your local auto parts store and tell them you need a flexplate for a 1966 Thunderbird with a 390. Here's the one you want from NAPA.

John

Comment

Thanks

The listed trans for that year is a C6 is that ok? Would the starter also be a 66? The block looks to have a built on mount for the alternator guessing I would go with the 70"s truck alternator to make sure it fits? ....I know I am asking a bunch of questions, but I have never swapped or built an engine, and I am really wanting to get more familiar without completely screwing the job up. I have to do things to learn them, so without a qualified person to guide me I would need to just rely on the shop manual which, while great, does leave a bunch to be desired in the details department.
          Last edited by Guest; March 25, 2015, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Yes, get the starter for a 1966 Thunderbird also. I assume you have the bolts and the mounting ring to mount the flexplate to the crankshaft.

John

Comment

Hmmm

Originally posted by jopizz
              Yes, get the starter for a 1966 Thunderbird also. I assume you have the bolts and the mounting ring to mount the flexplate to the crankshaft.

John
              Not unless they will swap from the 352...

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Yes, the mounting ring and the bolts are the same as the 352. I just wanted to make sure that you had them.

John

Comment

Yes, next learning opportunity is

Originally posted by jopizz
                  Yes, the mounting ring and the bolts are the same as the 352. I just wanted to make sure that you had them.

John
                  Rebuilding the 352.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎