• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • orwin
    1960 Tbird
    • Jun 17 2008

carpet screw locations

Hello,
    My upholstery shop is putting in new carpet in the 60 bird. I didn't note the locations of the screws and now everything is covered with dynamat and insulation. I have the Ford trim assembly manual and it shows how many screws and the approximate locations.

Does anyone have photos of an original interior showing the screws? Worst case he can look under the car to try to find the holes.

Thanks,

John
    John Orwin
    1960 HT 430
    VTCI #11290
    Tbird Registry #1590
  • Joe Johnston
    Super-Experienced
    • Dec 23 2008

Usually screws are approximately located to any pictures you may find. Best to use an awl, nail or wire and find the holes from under the car, plugging the hole and not making more.

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Joe is correct. The hole locations are not exact. The correct way is to lay the carpet in place and use an awl from underneath to poke through the insulation and carpet. Don't be surprised if the original size screws don't grip. The holes have a tendency to become oversized due to rust. I normally have to use larger screws.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Deanj
        Super-Experienced
        • Nov 26 2015

Very interesting. The first time I saw those screws poking out the bottom of my car I thought the worst. Then either Dave or John confirmed this was the correct method to install carpeting. I even found one empty hole in my floor-that I promptly filled with a screw.

Careful poking that awl through the new carpet. It's an underrated tool that comes in handy when trying to locate screws holes for all occasions.

Dean

Comment

• sidewalkman
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 14 2015

As the hole I put in the palm of my hand can attest, the awl method is the fastest and easiest way. I painted the screw heads as well when I put them in.
          Scott
          South Delta, BC, Canada
          1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
          Red Leather Interior!
          www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
          Thunderbird Registry #61266
          http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• bygrace
            Experienced
            • Jul 27 2015

Reading your posts, I am reminded of the bad experiences I have had putting screws thru carpet in various cars. (Finding holes, staying original, etc). But one thing I've learned the hard way is that a screw or drill bit can snag a thread in carpet, winding it up, and ruining a piece by pulling out a 8 - 10 inch row of loops before I could get the drill stopped. So an awl can also be much better for making a hole, not only for finding one. Also, I have melted a hole in carpet with a hot awl or other tool, which makes a nice fray-proof hole. Then if you need to drill there, there's no wind-up. I think I've learned more from my mistakes than I have from successes. But I like learning from someone else's best. Keep the tales coming.

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Originally posted by bygrace
              ...Also, I have melted a hole in carpet with a hot awl or other tool, which makes a nice fray-proof hole...
              I like the 'hot poker' method. Do it from the back side by heating the end of a 6" piece of coat hanger.

It helps to have someone inside the cabin while you poke the hole. - Dave
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• sidewalkman
                Super-Experienced
                • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                I like the 'hot poker' method. Do it from the back side by heating the end of a 6" piece of coat hanger.

It helps to have someone inside the cabin while you poke the hole. - Dave
                Tried that, but going through the Dynamat made a god awful stink.
                Scott
                South Delta, BC, Canada
                1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
                Red Leather Interior!
                www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
                Thunderbird Registry #61266
                http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• partsetal
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 4 2005

After cutting my hand several times on these infernal screws while working on the seat nuts without the lift I've sworn never to use these screws. I now use velcro to keep the carpet in place.
                  Carl

Comment

• captjohn
                    Experienced
                    • Nov 6 2018

Stick with the awl and use a heavy block of wood to poke into on the inside.
                    59HT TBird Registry: RN#76495
                    Sweet Home Alabama, Where the skies are so blue.

Comment

• Deanj
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Nov 26 2015

Originally posted by partsetal
                      After cutting my hand several times on these infernal screws while working on the seat nuts without the lift I've sworn never to use these screws. I now use velcro to keep the carpet in place.
                      Carl
                      I like that idea Carl! How did you seal the holes? Epoxy?

Dean

Comment

• partsetal
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jun 4 2005

I use a small piece of 'strip caulk' to seal the holes, but epoxy or seam sealer will work also.
                        I also use Velcro to keep the trunk mat in position and to hang the Convertible trunk mechanism curtain.
                        Carl

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎