Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ratboy
    Experienced
    • Jan 10 2019

Not sure how that partial post happened. I haven't attempted to remove the lower a arm but I did remove the upper and it was pretty easy. I replaced the bushings. but it seems like when I lowered the wheel and lower a arm with the shock, the spring got pretty extended. Not sure how safe it would be to try to rotate it but maybe a spring compressor would fit then. Im sure there's gotta be someone out there that's removed a spring

Comment

• Eric S
      Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Ball joints are conical and once installed can be tricky to slide off. I did it on steering and had to fight and lower arm is more difficult with springs and jacks involved but have I a choice?

Comment

• Eric S
        Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

As for the sparek plugs I read AF11YC but can find only RF11YC
        Is that OK and I just mis read it on the plugs?

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The "R" stands for resistor. That plug is fine. I don't know what the "A" would stand for. Maybe you just misread it.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Eric S
            Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Yes I guess marking was a bit wiped off. I ordered them Rs...

Comment

• Eric S
              Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

As for the coil spring on the suspension that was not well placed. I removed the lower ball joint and turned it. 90 minutes to do it including cleaning the tools. Looks like I am improving my skills. Ball Joint popped off with a single well placed hammer blow.

Edit : to be able to turn the spring by hand (do not have a compressor) one have to totally release the lower arm and remove the jack. Even totally loose and if you don't want to pop off the spring from the hook it is still a bit hard to turn.

Looking in the manual for torque specs on the shock absorber, I found on page 8-16 in the torque limit chart a line for Upper Arm Ball Joint Preload.
              I don't remember having preloaded anything during installation. What is it? Where in the manual this is detailled?
              Last edited by Eric S; August 16, 2019, 01:53 PM.

Comment

• Eric S
                Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Drove the car around the block for the first time since last july
                Everything is perfect, gears comes on smoothly now, just a little slip when starting full throttle. Not a big concern for now. Car still runs straight (I dismounted all the power steering) and brakes are powerfull. I forgot that !

Only the steering wheel is not straight, the signal lever does not comes off and horns do not work any more.
                I will pop off the steering wheel and haver a look at that in a few days as we are off for a long week-end.

I also noticed that the dash is not straight around the defrost vents. I pushed on it but there seems to be nothing to hold it down. Any idea?
                Attached Files

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

My guess is that the dash pad was replaced and whoever installed it did not remove enough padding to make it fit up to the windshield. The molding should fit in the groove in front of the defroster opening. That's pretty common for someone who doesn't have enough experience installing new dash pads. There's not much you can do now except remove it and reinstall it which is a pretty big job.

John

Comment

• Eric S
                    Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

John

where this padding is? The replacement dash pads are not a direct fit?
                    I removed the glove box and some bits to work on the heater. I never noticed before these gaps (on both defroster opening) but they are not in plain sight either.
                    I really don't see how but is it possible that the dash moved while I am working on the heater?

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The replacement dash pads have more padding underneath the vinyl then is necessary. To properly install them you have trim the inner padding around the radio opening and other places. No, they are not a direct fit. It takes lots of time and patience to get them to fit correctly. Many beginners will just take it out of the box and install it without taking the time to do it right. Obviously yours is one of those.

John

Comment

• Eric S
                        Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

OK I will have to live with it for now. Car is close to be finished for what I wanted to do on it to be as good as possible.

Comment

• Eric S
                          Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

I had this clamp coming from nowhere. I replaced one that was missing. Is that this one?
                          I have one on each front wheel, 1 on the parking brake at the end of the first cable and 1 on the rear where the steel tube join the hose. That's 4. Is there a 5th one somewhere?
                          Attached Files

Comment

• jopizz
                            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The four you mentioned are the only ones I can think of. I guess you found the one that was missing.

John

Comment

• Eric S
                              Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Alwayd surprising how parts and tools can navigate in alternative dimension for some time and re-appear. And I keep my area clean!
                              I have the below tank on this car. What is the cold level relative to the inside plate?
                              Attached Files

Comment

• jopizz
                                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It doesn't have to be exact as long as it's not overfilled. I usually use my index finger. If the fluid level touches the tip of my finger it's filled enough.

John

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎