X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

430 Rebuild - Need Advice/Help

My 430 is very close to needing a rebuild. I can't do this myself, and found a reputable rebuilder near me.

BUT, he hasn't done a 430 before, and I need some advice from anyone on a few things before I see him on Monday.

1. Can the engine be removed without removing the tranny with it? He seems to think so -- is that true?

2. Where is the best source for the rebuild kit. I see that some have new pistons, and valve train -- is that the only way to go?

3. Is the 430 kit for the Lincoln the same?

4. In addition to a new oil pump and timing chain, what new stuff do I need while the engine is apart?

P.S. If anyone who has rebuilt the 430 (or had it rebuilt) and willing to talk to me via phone -- please send me a PM.

Thanks
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231
  • Husky35
    Apprentice
    • Jun 29 2006

rebuild

Hi Bart,
    You can call me, but to be honest, I would sift through the MEL site. There are some really great people on the site like KULTULZ, Brian P, Brian E,, others. They really know there stuff and have answered the same question over and over.
    First of all, there is a big difference between the 58-60 430 blocks and the 61 and up. So, make sure you get the right kit. I am building a street rod, so I had a local guy Dave Tatum (world famous flathead builder) build my “boat anchor”. We put in a new oil pump, cam, stainless valves (which were custom, but not really that much more), rockers, etc. We also balanced the pistons and the crank, and drilled out the oil galley. I put in a later model valley pan to add a pcv vent. There are some pictures of my build here: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/husky35/Home.htm
    We haven’t put the motor in yet, but I also added an MSD distributor, Holley carb, Merc Maurader valve covers. All not installed yet. I also have a c-6 trans for it.
    I’ll PM you with my number.

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎