Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GH-Java
    • Jul 17 2015

Clanking Transmission

Hi all. I have a 1959 that drives well and shift just fine. Well..

1) when I pull it to reverse a buzzing sound comes from under the hood that disappears when I put in Drive.

2) When I put the car in Reverse, I have to hold the breaks down REAL hard And it Still Jumps with a loud clank from middle to the back of the under carriage.

3) The transmission shifts hard with loud clanks when it shifts up or down. It happens more often than when it shifts smoothly.

I am not a mechanic. I have been thinking about flushing the transmission. Any ideas or advice? I appreciate it. G.H.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I don't think it's the transmission. It sounds more like a bad pinion gear or bearing in the rear. It could also be a universal joint. As for the buzzing I don't want to say it's normal but I've seen it on many Squarebirds I've had. I would check the trans fluid and make sure it's filled.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

John ....re#2....do you suppose the idle speed is way too high also causing it to jump

Eric

Comment

• Ladysmith Bob
        Experienced
        • May 21 2017

Just another thought

If someone has put in a shift kit in the past it could explain the harsh up and down shifting - also would check trans mount - could be transmitting vibration and clunking sound through floor pan.
        sigpicSawmill Guru Registry #21424

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by GH-Java
          Hi all. I have a 1959 that drives well and shift just fine. Well..

1) when I pull it to reverse a buzzing sound comes from under the hood that disappears when I put in Drive.

2) When I put the car in Reverse, I have to hold the breaks down REAL hard And it Still Jumps with a loud clank from middle to the back of the under carriage.

3) The transmission shifts hard with loud clanks when it shifts up or down. It happens more often than when it shifts smoothly.

I am not a mechanic. I have been thinking about flushing the transmission. Any ideas or advice? I appreciate it. G.H.
          1. The buzzing sound in R is probably the parking pawl partially engaged. Adjust the shifter linkage.

2 & 3. The "clank" points to the U-joints. Look underneath the car at the driveshaft as someone holds the brake and shifts from R to D.

Flushing the transmission is always a good idea if you don't have a record of when it was done last. Buy a new pan gasket and filter, black RTV and a 12 qt case of good quality Type F fluid and bring it all to your mechanic. Make sure he drains the torque converter too. This same guy can change the universal joints and adjust the shifter linkage all in about two hours.

Comment

• GH-Java
            • Jul 17 2015

Thank you all for your advice. I'll get the work complete shortly and share how it performs. Be well.

Comment

• sidewalkman
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 14 2015

I had major slipping in all forward gears, car literally wouldn't move until it warmed up. Someone here suggested adjusting the kickdown linkage (the piece attaching to the intake manifold at the rear). I did and when I went too far it shifted with a loud bang first to second, I backed it down until it was perfect....took 3 months of trial and error but it was winter and weather was not my friend.

Could be something as simple as the linkage is out 1/2 a turn! Try it, it's free. Lastly before you start make sure the linkage arm is tight on the shift arm on the transmission
              Scott
              South Delta, BC, Canada
              1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
              Red Leather Interior!
              www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
              Thunderbird Registry #61266
              http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢