Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zerkfitting
    • Jun 8 2017

Wheel Covers

Has anyone replaced the standard wheel covers with something else? I'm wondering how aftermarket wire wheel covers work on a '65.

Are the Ford steel wheels the same as some other manufacturers?
  • OUR5T8BIRD
    Experienced
    • Mar 1 2017

Originally posted by Zerkfitting
    Has anyone replaced the standard wheel covers with something else? I'm wondering how aftermarket wire wheel covers work on a '65.

Are the Ford steel wheels the same as some other manufacturers?
    Years ago I had the wire wheel covers from a '77 '78 '79 T'bird on my '66 with no problem . '66 wheels are the same as yours if stock as are '67's . The skirts may be a problem clearing . If interested, I have a set of those covers still in the wrappers . NOS .

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

What size covers do the Flairbirds wear? 14's?

Here are some wire covers I made from a set of 14 inch GM covers and Bulletbird center spinners (the Squarebird OEM wheel is 14 inch).

Original GM

Modified

On my Squarebird

Still trying to decide if I like them or not. Was going for the Kelsey Hayes wire wheel look without all the trouble of running tubes etc. I think they would look a little better if I blacked out 1/2 of the outer edge of the cover.

Eric

Comment

• Yadkin
        Banned
        • Aug 11 2012

64-66 Flairbirds are 15" wheels.

I always wanted a real set of wire wheels and now that Coker has them at a reasonable price bought a set. Yes they have tubes and are a pain to clean but this car is my babydoll.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Zerkfitting
          • Jun 8 2017

Those are nice. I'm also considering something less expensive, I saw a finned '67 Thunderbird wheel cover that might look good on a '65.

Comment

• Zerkfitting
            • Jun 8 2017

How did you modify a 14" GM wheel cover to fit a 15 inch Ford wheel cover?

Originally posted by DKheld
            What size covers do the Flairbirds wear? 14's?

Here are some wire covers I made from a set of 14 inch GM covers and Bulletbird center spinners (the Squarebird OEM wheel is 14 inch).

Original GM

Modified

On my Squarebird

Still trying to decide if I like them or not. Was going for the Kelsey Hayes wire wheel look without all the trouble of running tubes etc. I think they would look a little better if I blacked out 1/2 of the outer edge of the cover.

Eric

Comment

• billy whizz
              • Jul 1 2017

I have wheel covers from a 1968 Thunderbird on mine. I like them as they make a subtle difference that does not look "incorrect" on my 65 Landau and marks it out as 'my' car.

Comment

• DKheld
                Super-Experienced
                • Aug 27 2008

Ooops - sorry Scott - just saw your question..

The Squarebird has 14 inch wheels and the GM cover is 14 inch so I was good to go. Just had to modify the center cap to accept the Bulletbird style spinner. I was not aware that the Flairbirds had 15 inch wheels. Oh well - live and learn.

I wanted to stick with a Ford hubcap but Ford just didn't make anything similar. Ford has a few with different spoke designs but don't look like wire wheels IMHO so wound up with the GM cap.

If you plan on using something other than Ford caps I would suggest buying just one to try it rather than getting the whole set and finding out they don't work. Maybe get a "not so nice" one form one of the auction sites and see if it fits - then use it as a spare.

Eric

Comment

• Zerkfitting
                  • Jun 8 2017

Originally posted by billy whizz
                  I have wheel covers from a 1968 Thunderbird on mine. I like them as they make a subtle difference that does not look "incorrect" on my 65 Landau and marks it out as 'my' car.
                  I downloaded a picture of '69 wheel covers and pasted it on a picture of my 65 hardtop. I liked the look so I ordered a set from Hubcaps.com ($100). The paint on centers of all of them are worn but I'll either repaint them the original silver or color key them to the car (turquoise). Two of them have small dents. The wheel covers I got don't match the picture (no emblem in the center and fewer fins) but they are similar. It seems there a lot of different wheel covers for the 67-69 Thunderbirds. (I think I wanted the 68 version and got 69s).

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎