X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deanj
    Super-Experienced
    • Nov 26 2015

Cruise-O-Matic Overfill?

I'm curious because my transmission has stopped leaking from above where it rests on the cross member. About a year ago I followed directions and drained the transmission and both holes in the torque converter, then added 9 1/2 quarts before filling it to 10 after warming up the transmission.

It leaked before and after servicing. Now it has stopped. Is this possible?

Dean
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Without knowing exactly where it was leaking it's hard to say. Normally transmissions leak because rubber parts get hard and no longer seal. Sometimes rubber parts will leak in the winter when it's cold and not in the summer when they soften up. If it leaked after you serviced it I suspect it will probably leak again at some point. The most common leak points are the front seal, pan and the shift selector seals. Sometimes it will also leak from the speedometer cable housing. It's usually pretty easy to determine exactly where it's leaking.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Deanj
      Super-Experienced
      • Nov 26 2015

Makes sense John. There goes my excitement. I know it's not the pan. The front seal should have been replaced when the transmission or torque converter were overhauled around 72K and she's almost 82K. Shift selector seals?

Dean

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The shift selector seals are a very common leak point. They are on the driver side front of the transmission where the shift rods come out so they are easy to spot if they are leaking. If the trans was overhauled they should've been replaced.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• Tbird1044
          Super-Experienced
          • Jul 31 2012

Dean:
          If it does turn out to be shift linkage seals, (a couple small o-rings) there is a procedure to change these out in the TRL. It's a bit of a PITA, but can be done without dropping the trans. I did it laying on my back and it worked well.
          You might try and use some brake clean to degrease the trans and then try to identify the leak source. With only 10K miles on a rebuild, you should still be in good shape.
          If the trans sat for a while, you might try some of the trans sealers. They basically are designed to cause the seals to swell. There will probably be a lot of kickback on this one, but I have had limited success using these.
          The trans also has a breather vent and you should make sure this somehow didn't get restricted.
          Nyles

Comment

• Deanj
            Super-Experienced
            • Nov 26 2015

Originally posted by Tbird1044
            Dean:
            If it does turn out to be shift linkage seals, (a couple small o-rings) there is a procedure to change these out in the TRL...
            If the trans sat for a while, you might try some of the trans sealers. They basically are designed to cause the seals to swell. There will probably be a lot of kickback on this one, but I have had limited success using these.
            The trans also has a breather vent and you should make sure this somehow didn't get restricted.
            Nyles
            Thanks. You got me on this acronym. What is TRL? Transmission rebuild link? T-Bird Relic lesson? Transport Research Library?

What is the down side of a sealer?

Dean

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Cruise-O-Matic Overfill?

The last guess is close, but no cigar! TRL stands for the Technical Resource Library (hence TRL!). There is a sub-Forum for it, or you can enter it by clicking on the link that both myself and John ~ jopizz have in our signature elements. There you will find the answers to many questions and tech tips regarding your Tbirds...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Tbird1044
                Super-Experienced
                • Jul 31 2012

Dean:
                The only downside I know of, if you add sealer, is that you spent a couple of bucks for the sealer and the trans keeps leaking. When my shift linkage seals were leaking, I tried some sealer and it really didn't help. The o-rings were beyond any help. As I said, I have seen success in some uses, so I figure it's worth a try.
                Nyles

Comment

• Yadkin
                  Banned
                  • Aug 11 2012

I've used a good quality brand sealer on a Cruise-O with a minor leak and it's still holding after two years.

Comment

• Deanj
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Nov 26 2015

Thanks everyone. I'll check my leak location (again), and check fluid level before I add any sealer to the case.

One last question: At what highest speed is the cruise-O-matic on this car still able to kick down into 2nd gear?

Dean

Comment

• Yadkin
                      Banned
                      • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by Deanj
                      Thanks everyone. I'll check my leak location (again), and check fluid level before I add any sealer to the case.

One last question: At what highest speed is the cruise-O-matic on this car still able to kick down into 2nd gear?

Dean
                      My '64 will kick down to second below 60, about. At lower speeds it will kick down two gears.

Comment

• Deanj
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Nov 26 2015

Once again my Cruise-O-Matic is leaking and really good. It leaks from the passenger side right around the filler tube area, and I'd rather hear a possibility or two before hauling it back to the shop that replaced the transmission lines. I know they stuffed more fluid in the case.

Is it likely an overfill on the passenger side? or bogus connection on the lines?

Dean

Comment

• Tbird1044
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jul 31 2012

Is the trans leaking all the time or only when running and you have pressure on the lines?
                          If you paid to have the cooler lines replaced, I'd probably take it back, put it up on a hoist, clean the trans area with some brake clean and then check for leakage. First step in fixing the leak is to identify the source.
                          The reason I asked the first question, is I found a hairline crack in the dipstick tube that was leaking. If the shop tightens the tube, where it attaches to the pan, and then tweaks it a bit to secure the bracket to the rear of the engine, it can stress the tube causing a crack. Just a thought.
                          Nyles

Comment

• Deanj
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Nov 26 2015

Nyles, it doesn't appear to be leaking under pressure. You're right about that. I've experienced leaking power steering lines under pressure, and they leak real good while the engine is running. This leaks a river while parked.

Shoot. Bringing it back to the shop is inevitable, and a pita.

Dean

Comment

• Tbird1044
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Jul 31 2012

I would definitely look at the dip stick tube and also the connection to the pan.
                              Nyles

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎