X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

Had to try out my side view mirror

Don't really need an excuse to drive it but just in case the wife asked where I was - .

Too bad it was early and the sun wasn't behind me.

The place I really wanted to stop was packed with cars and no place to pull over - have a picture there of the car in 2004 just as it turned 100K - been wanting to get back and re-create the shot.... maybe next drive.

Eric
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

Looks like a nice day on the BRP!

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

Thanks Steve....... yes it was........

Comment

• Randy
        Experienced
        • Dec 21 2015

?Whats the BRP ?
        "You're never too old to become younger".! (M. West)
        Randy's Save the Bird Foundation in Beautiful Fallbrook, California

!.This is the Greatest Square on Earth.!

Comment

• DKheld
          Super-Experienced
          • Aug 27 2008

BRP = Blue Ridge Parkway

Built in the 30's to connect a couple of larger national parks (basically). Lots of controversy behind the scenes but I'm glad it was completed. There is a documentary from Public Broadcasting System about it if you are ever interested. Probably can view it on line if you do that kind of thing. I don't have cable - just an antenna - like the good old days.

Here's a link to the Blue Ridge Parkway web site. If you ever get out this way we'll take a ride.

Find all the trip planning details you need to visit the Blue Ridge Parkway and experience scenic beauty, local food, mountain music and more.

Pics from a couple of years back near Mt Mitchell - highest point east of the Mississippi. Ray graciously selected a couple of them for past calendar pics.

An early morning drive to Mt Mitchell.

I can get to this overlook in about 10 min. This pic from 2004 - the one I want to take again 13 years later although now the overlook is always choc-a-block full of cars. It was a hazy day - can usually see a long way off.

Disc brakes are a must......

Eric

Comment

• Yadkin
            Banned
            • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by DKheld
            BRP = Blue Ridge Parkway

Built in the 30's to connect a couple of larger national parks (basically). Lots of controversy behind the scenes but I'm glad it was completed.
            Started in 1933 as a WPA project and completed in 1983 on the east side of Grandfather Mountain:

As the last piece of the Parkway to be completed, the Linn Cove Viaduct was a peak of Parkway engineering and environmental protection. Completed in 1983 at a cost of almost $10 million, the Linn Cove Viaduct is 1,243 feet long and contains 153 segments weighing 50 tons each. The American Society of Civil Engineers designated it a National Civil Engineering Landmark (Highways in Harmony). Visit the Linn Cove Viaduct (Milepost 304) to experience this engineering feat in person.

Comment

• Randy
              Experienced
              • Dec 21 2015

well Iv been on a trip today thank you, I don't get out much.
              but wow Blue Ridge Parkway - Linn Cove most complicated cement Bridges -Rocky Mountain Viaduct -Tanawha Trail- annual National Lumberjack- Boone Fork -Price Lake - Julian Price -Jefferson pilot Life ins.- just to name some of the places I went to today, I wonder... how many pencils The engineers they went through? Funny we have a old gold mind town up in the mountans called Julian it grows apple today and it to is above 4 thousand foot, a little over hour from me, Julian is where The 59 part car came from, its no where near as interesting as your Julian and the BRP. i copy this last part... " The final section is not only a triumph of engineering and sensitivity to the environment; it is a joy to drive, safe but thrilling. Hugging the contours and Grandfather Mountain, the road gently curves and rolls, presenting motorists with magnificent views as it sweeps toward the sky."
              "You're never too old to become younger".! (M. West)
              Randy's Save the Bird Foundation in Beautiful Fallbrook, California

!.This is the Greatest Square on Earth.!

Comment

• Yadkin
                Banned
                • Aug 11 2012

Randy, as a kid growing up in the northeast I always dreamed of travelling on the BRP for its entire length. Then in the mid 80's my wife and I took our then annual road trip from Syracuse New York to Ft. Myers Florida, which was basically two 11 hour days at interstate highway speeds. And of course we only had a week off, or nine days including the weekends. So that left 5 days at our destination.

Once we were near the BRP so we got on it. The speed limit is 45 mph, some of it is 35, and invariably a guy is pulling a camper so you go a lot slower. And it twists and turns near the ridge line of the eastern continental divide, first below one mountain peak for a view east, then around the west side of the next peak and so on. And of course the Appalachians tend towards the south east direction, and we had to go almost due south.

After about ten miles of "travelling" and looking at our "progress" on the map my navigator-wife did a quick calculation and determined that if we took this road most of the way we'd have to leave our destination before we got there.

Today since I live near it I can enjoy it for what it is- a destination in of itself.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎