• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Originally posted by scumdog
    Same here!

Take off drum, undo backing plate/retainer bolts, put rim back on, (Sometimes facing the wrong way can give you an advantage if space is tight) put on the lug-nuts a few turns each and slam away!
    I like Tom's answer better than mine because instead of assuming too much (like my answer), he offers full details. Good answer, Tom.

After thinking about this, the 'fabrication side' of me kicked in. It's easy to adapt a barbell plate into a slide hammer. I'll let you figure out the rest but this idea can use any weight and length you like. For myself, I'll stick to the 'loose tire' method because it works. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

I already had the slide hammer..... darn.

Missed all the fun using the wheel method.....

Have a look.....

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Leaking rear axle seals

Thanks to Eric ~ DKheld, that Tech Tip that he wrote some time ago, has been in the Technical Resource Library for all to view and use! Thanks again for putting that terrific Tech Tip together with pix, Eric!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• DKheld
          Super-Experienced
          • Aug 27 2008

No problem!!!

In this pic you can see the drainage hole at the bottom of the axle housing for the gear oil to drain away from the brake shoes etc.

Just a thought - and that paper gasket could easily fail after 50+ years - but if your leak is inside where the shoes are it could be the wheel cylinders leaking brake fluid ????

Eric

Comment

• Frango100
            Experienced
            • May 2 2016

Thanks again for the answers guys. Its really diff fluid what is leaking. Also all my brake cylinders are new, changed them shortly after purchasing the bird last year. Now i will need to find some time to tackle this job.
            sigpicFrank
            1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
            Thunderbird registry #61670

Comment

• Frango100
              Experienced
              • May 2 2016

So I pulled both axle shafts today. No puller needed or even the wheel trick, I could take them out by just pulling with two hands. Some China made bearings are on there now. Both bearings rotate freely and only on the left hand side I could feel a very little bit of play. But I wonder if the external dimensions of these bearings are exactly as should be, since I suppose that removing with little hand force doesnīt seem to be the right way. No signs of them rotating inside the axle tubes though.
              On both sides, the area where the oil seal is touching, the axle is not smooth. On the left hand side there are some small imperfections, which maybe with some polishing can be removed. On the right hand side however, some backyard mechanic probably put some grinder on there during the removal of the bearing lock ring and touched the axle. The area is not perfectly round and I doubt that this can be restored with polishing.
              @ Yadkin, do they sell the repair sleeves somewhere, or where they made by the repair shop? To remove the bearing, this sleeve has to come of again I believe?
              sigpicFrank

Comment

• Yadkin
                Banned
                • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by Frango100

@ Yadkin, do they sell the repair sleeves somewhere, or where they made by the repair shop? To remove the bearing, this sleeve has to come of again I believe?
                The machine shop I used ordered them for me. As I recall they did so based on the shaft dimensions, not make and model. They are specialty parts that any decent axle repair shop should have access to.

Comment

• Frango100
                  Experienced
                  • May 2 2016

I found repair sleeves called "SKF Speedy sleeves". Someone used these?
                  Still trying to find a shop here locally which does axle repairs, but so far no results.
                  sigpicFrank

Comment

• DKheld
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Aug 27 2008

Here is a link to a couple of articles on how we do the same procedure on the MG's.

I'm not familiar with SKF brand but would guess they are as good as any.

Eric

Comment

• Yadkin
                      Banned
                      • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by Frango100
                      I found repair sleeves called "SKF Speedy sleeves". Someone used these?
                      Still trying to find a shop here locally which does axle repairs, but so far no results.
                      Find a reputable shop. The axles can't be heated because they will lose strength. As I recall the procedure was to cold-machine a spot on the axle using a lathe, then cool it down (probably with dry ice), heat up the sleeve and then put it on.
                      Last edited by Yadkin; June 16, 2017, 07:42 AM. Reason: syntax

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

SKF offers, Spedi-Sleeve in a range of sizes from under 1/2" through 8".

No heat or machining is necessary and no heat/cold therapy is used at all. These sleeves are made of thin metal and they come with a driver. Thin metal will expand when driven onto a larger diameter thus creating a perfect interference fit and a smooth surface for your seal.

If you prefer a machine shop to install, ok but this system isn't very technical aside from supplying an accurate shaft measurement.

CLICK HERE

Sleeves are commonly used on crankshafts for the timing cover seal. Many of our vendors carry that seal sleeve. - Dave
                        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• DKheld
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Aug 27 2008

Check that first link about installing the sleeve on an MG axle - same thing and great instructions (with pictures !).

Also - the good news is a new larger seal should not be needed.

"As the new sleeve is just 0.010" thick, it will work nicely with the standard hub seal."

I've been really lucky with all my axle work so far and haven't needed a sleeve.

Eric

Comment

• pbf777
                            Experienced
                            • Jan 9 2016

Back before these commercially available repair sleeves were available, for the 9" Ford axle one would acquire the seal adapter sleeve installed (pressed) on the 31 spline application axles and use the seal for the 31 spline axles vs. the 28 spline seal. All done, all Ford.

Yes I know, some more "back-in-the-day" obsolete information. But hey, back when you figured it out it was useful; today, it's only maybe, a good story, if someone cares.

Scott.

P.S. If someone has cut, hacked, wacked, ground, chiseled, torched, welded, or some other ham-fisted D.A. execution ----THROW THE AXLES AWAY!----!!!! (actually, they make good tent stakes, driven into the ground, big flange, can't miss with the sledge hammer) Axle failure (the wheel flies off!), particularly at speed, is no fun.

Comment

• Frango100
                              Experienced
                              • May 2 2016

I see that Rockauto sells the Redi- Sleeves from National and some SKF Speedi-Sleeves as well. I will measure tomorrow the axles and see if they have the right size available.
                              sigpicFrank

Comment

• Frango100
                                Experienced
                                • May 2 2016

I just had a look at the ring gear this morning and see quite some pitting on both sides of the contact surfaces. That could explain the humming noise which comes from the diff at higher speeds. I didnīt see any metal glinsters in the fluid, but it looks somewhat darker then when I had put it in around 1000 miles ago. The pinion looks still ok as far as I can see, but both should be changed as a set I believe. Rockauto has them from Dorman and Dana. Probably Dana will be the best way to go? Best would be to change all the bearings then as well. They also sell a complete bearing and seal kit, which also has the crush sleeve and adjusting shims for the pinion and some marking material to check the gear engagement. I didnīt check the spider gears yet, I hope that at least they are ok.
                                Since I just bought some material from Carl, all this diff work must wait a bit until fundings allow.
                                sigpicFrank

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎