Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

What about the clutch bearings and the bullet connection at the clutch... Did you disconnect power? Are the bearings working freely?

Before troubleshooting the electrical, you should prove the mechanical operations first. Most A/C compressor problems are such that the clutch won't energize, not de-energize. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• flyinthermals
      Experienced
      • Apr 3 2013

A/C Issues

The clutch wont de-energize. With the car off (power off) the clutch turns freely but sticks with a little friction. It may have a bearing issue but it's the not de-energizing problem that is keeping a/c on. It could be the cable to the switch adjustment but the lover that turns the switch from off to on now looks like it travels from one extreme to the other good. i don't hear the compressor cycling or the clutch disengaging.
      sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Originally posted by flyinthermals
        The clutch wont de-energize. With the car off (power off) the clutch turns freely but sticks with a little friction. It may have a bearing issue but it's the not de-energizing problem that is keeping a/c on...
        I am confused by your answer. If you have a bearing problem, the compressor bypasses the electromagnetic clutch and the belt simply turns the compressor shaft.

There is a simple way of testing this, by disconnecting the electric wire at the clutch. Understand, with no power, the clutch cannot energize and the compressor should not turn. The belt-driven pulley simply rides on the bearings but the compressor does not turn.

After disconnecting the power, tell us your results. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• flyinthermals
          Experienced
          • Apr 3 2013

With the power disconnected, the clutch does not turn. It is disengaged. Something I could not see happening when the power was on. The clutch would not cycle ever. When a bearing issue was suggested, I assumed that the magnetic clutch, when not engaged, will spin freely by hand because it is not magnetized and if is doesn't then it must be the bearing. It feels like it is sticking as I try to turn it by hand. When the power is on the clutch seems just to be in a constant energize situation. I guess it could be the switch or the cable that is causing the problem. Unless another member who has a/c can spin the clutch with ease when the power is off.

When the power is on, it blows very cold air. Because it seems not to be cycling, I decided, with Ian's advice to unplug it so as not to blow the compressor out. Where that thermostatic switch is though, it is hard to see it and test it. I may have to pull the front seat out. Or maybe take the dash apart.
          sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Whether you have a Warner or Eaton clutch, they have their own separate bearing (apart from the compressor bearings).

The bearing allows the pulley to spin freely as long as the clutch is NOT energized. There should be no drag:

I don't mean to beat this dead horse but again, if the bearing is frozen, the compressor will not cycle.

I'm going to believe you when you say the compressor does not turn with the clutch wire unplugged. That being true, you are right in pursuing and testing the evaporator switch. - Dave

As a side note... I don't know why they call it a clutch when it's really like a brake. Brakes are never engaged until energized. Clutches are always engaged until energized.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎