Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Jim, put your new brake shoe inside the new drum (out of the car). Do both arcs mate, or is one a little different from the other? In other words, are the shoes a different radius than the drum? This is common. Replacement shoes normally go on drums that are somewhat worn or turned. And .250" (1/4") sounds like a lot, but that's really only 1/8" of metal gone.

Two things come to mind:

* New brake shoes will need re-adjustment VERY soon after installation. New linings are usually rough, but they smooth out after not too long.

* In the old days, just about every auto parts store had a machine to arc brake shoes, to fit the newly cut drums (I know yours are new). You can do this yourself (with a belt sander), or you can wait until it naturally happens during regular driving. Also, make sure you get all the rust out of the star wheel ends and the top cylinder pin slots (so they aren't pushing the shoes out).

The way I read your post, the hub is different. That confuses me since you took these hubs off your car. Bearing races seat against a machined stop in the hub. It's straight forward. Drive new races all the way home. If you don't, your spindle's adjusting nut will become loose on the road.

Everyone has their own method of tightening front spindles. Some say you have to 'have a touch' and be gentle. Not me. I tighten the crap out of that nut while spinning the wheel, then I back off. If either race wants to move inside, I give it the chance right then. I have seen this happen after a 'good' mechanic installed new bearings. After some time, the front wheel was so sloppy, I could shake the front tire side-to-side and feel the slop, while the car is sitting in the drive.

One time, I was tightening the front spindle nut on my cousin's Amphicar. I was really cranking on it when all of a sudden, it stripped! OMG! This is a German (metric) spindle. NOW, look at the mess we're in...

After pulling a few pieces of steel threads out of the spindle, I realized the nut threads and the spindle threads were close, but different pitch diameter. Someone had put an SAE nut on a metric spindle. If I hadn't cranked on it, nobody would ever notice, until the front wheel comes off on the road. We got new metric nuts and everything was back to 'new', but that was really an, 'Aaa-ha' moment. Never take anything for granted and use all your senses.

BTW, I like your spindle grease. It looks to be a good grade of lithium. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Astrowing
      Experienced
      • Jul 22 2009

Thanks, Dave. I had trouble getting the brakes to adjust in as far as they need to be with the new drums, so I went by yesterday and got some new adjustment screws. I also had to get one of the lug studs replaced because I messed up one trying to get the drum off by tapping using a 2x4. That obviously didn't work!

I haven't pulled the shoes off to check the arc, but by measurement they are very close, and will be much better than when they were paired with oversize drums which as far as I can tell were the originals or at least not changed since the 60's.

The inner races are seated in to the stops so I think they are ok, but I'm having the guy that installed them recheck also. I'm anxious to get another opportunity to work on it again.
      sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• Astrowing
        Experienced
        • Jul 22 2009

Here's a good link on drum brakes from the Chrysler Imperial Club website. They are different than the Fords in adjustment methodology, but the theory part is really good. They have a picture of the brake grinding machine in the booklet.
        sigpic

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

I saw the manual (and the machine). They kinda show a grinding wheel with a shoe on a pivot, which is right. I was hoping they would tell about changing the arc of the lining to mate with the drum's radius.

I remember how LOUD that operation was (back in the day). I laugh now, because with as heavy as engines and car bodys were, racers would have their brake linings shaved paper thin to save weight. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Astrowing
            Experienced
            • Jul 22 2009

New drums of the proper size made a phenominal improvement. 4 high speed stops with confidence and lots of pedal left.
            sigpic

Comment

• Astrowing
              Experienced
              • Jul 22 2009

I just did my original front drums on my 1961 F100 finishing last weekend. Used a sledge hammer to tap out the lug studs. The new drums are right at 11 inches compared to 11.125 with the originals. Braking is way better than before as with the Tbird. It’ll lock up the front brakes when I get into it now. I should have done this years ago but just found reasonably priced drums from Rock Auto
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎