Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PC1963T-Bird
    • Jul 18 2014

Speedometer Cable Replacement

I want to replace the speedometer cable in my 63. I've disconnected it form the transmission and disconnected it form the speedometer itself. What is my next step? I can't pull it through because it's pretty tight.

I can't even see its path to the transmission. I'm lost now.
  • PC1963T-Bird
    • Jul 18 2014

Have I bitten off more than I can chew?

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Is there any particular reason why you want to replace it. Very rarely do they break. Normally the ends get worn but you can crimp new ends on. Are you trying to replace the entire casing? If the cable does break it's possible to pull a new cable through the old casing.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• PC1963T-Bird
        • Jul 18 2014

I've replaced the gear and it's still registering about 20mph too slow. Needle keeps bouncing too. I thought the next step was to replace the cable?

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

A bouncing needle usually indicates either the cable needs to be greased or one of the ends is worn. Check the cable at both ends and make sure the square points are nice and sharp. If they are rounded your speedometer will bounce. That could also affect the speed being off as well as having too large or too small tires or a rear end gear that is not stock.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• PC1963T-Bird
            • Jul 18 2014

Just took her out for a drive. Looks like the speed is half of what it should be. Speedometer registers 30 you are actually doing 60. I have P205/75R-14 tires. I replaced the speedometer gear with an 18 teeth one I ordered from Birdsnest.

Right now it's not a huge issue. My son is taking the car to Prom in a couple weekends and I would like for it to actually register the correct speed.

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎