X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry Jones
    Experienced
    • Feb 3 2009

car battery with 14.5 volts

Started up the 62 t-bird let it run for about 10 mimutes shut it down and put the probes of my DVM and read about 17 volts while the engine was shut off. About a hour later the DVM reads 15.5 volts. Should I be concern or can some out there explain the happening. Larry Could I fix this my self. I also removed some of the distilled wated in the battery.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Larry, your car should be charging at 14.5 volts. 17 volts will burn out your headlights and tail lights too soon. Long stretches of time at 17 volts will overheat your battery and start spewing acid out the top. Why would you take electrolyte out?

I know nothing about your charging system. If you tell us what you have maybe we can help. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Larry Jones
      Experienced
      • Feb 3 2009

To high of voltage on the battery

Goodmorning Dave.

I have a generator and voltage regulator.I purchased the battery in 07/09. It was only a three year battery. Went out this morning the battery is still holding over 17 volts to it. If its the voltage regulator how would I be able to check that out. If I need to replace it whats involved in installing a new one. If memory serves me correct you had to do something to the termimals on the outside of the regulator also. Would my battery be toast also if its still holding that much of a charge to it. Or would a new voltage regulator be able to bring the battery back too 12.6 volts. Thanks for the concern. Larry

Comment

Larry, I am not very good at acronyms so guessing that a DVM might stand for a digital voltage meter. What does the dash gauge voltmeter read when the car is at idle? What does the dash meter read when the engine is not running, but the ignition switch is turned on? Are these readings high too, or are they reading normal? When running I'd like to see 14+ volts. When not running I'd like to see 12+ volts. If the dash gauge is then reading normal, try a different DVM meter, or even better try a AVM (analog voltage meter) and see what that reads. I would bet that the meter you are now using is out of calibration. Let us know what your dash gauge reads.

Comment

• Larry Jones
          Experienced
          • Feb 3 2009

high voltage in the battery

Hello CA58tbird,
          Thank. you for taking a interest in my problem I don't have a dash voltmeter. What I do have is a analog meter that reads 12.6 on the battery without starting the car. It turned out to be a bad 9 volt battery in my DVM. Thanks again I sometimes fend to jump ahead of everything without starting at the most logical first. Appreciate your help. Larry

Comment

Larry, yes, 12.6 sounds about right. My experience is that mostly 12.2 to 12.7 is normal. Gettin' towards 12 is asking for the car not to start at 12 or below. Glad to learn you diagnosed your bad voltage meter and that you weren't gonna blow anything up on your car from excessive voltage.

Comment

• Larry Jones
              Experienced
              • Feb 3 2009

Found the problem

Thank You for taking the time to review my thread Mr. Zimmerman. Larry

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎