X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 430bird60
    Experienced
    • Dec 30 2008

power steering filter

Does anyone know whether or not the power steering had a filter on a 1960 with the 430 engine. My car has the can but no filter. The Ford car and accessories illustrated catalog does not show one. Thanks for any help.
    Ken
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

In my experience it was hit and miss whether or not a filter was installed. For some reason I've seen more '59's with filters than '60's. Even the 60-64 Master Parts Catalog is vague about it. It shows a filter for 1960 8 cylinder typical but doesn't show one for 1960 Thunderbird. My feeling is if the filter support is installed than it had one, if not it didn't. 430 or 352 doesn't seem to make a difference.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• tbird430
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 18 2007

I'm the 2nd owner of my 430MEL '60 Bird. I had to replace the P/S pump 3 years back, it had no pedestal inside for the P/S filter either...

-Jon in TX.
      sigpic
      The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• 430bird60
        Experienced
        • Dec 30 2008

power steering filter

I hadn't thought about the pedestal but mine doesn't have one either. I guess it didn't come with a filter. I found a crack in my p/s pressure line so it needs replacing. I will probably have to have one made as the line from the venders are 31 inches and mine is only about 23. Difference b/t the 352 and 430 I guess. Anyway thanks for responding to my question.
        Ken

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

For what it's worth, I don't think a filter would do much. I mean, the hydraulic fluid is in a very friendly environment (not like engine oil). European cars like VW and Fiat had no motor oil filter for many years, they simply had screens. I guess they figured, the real filtration comes when you change your oil.

This begs the question; when was the last time you changed your P/S oil? If you really want a P/S filter, adding one to the return line would be easy to do because it is not under high pressure. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 430bird60
            Experienced
            • Dec 30 2008

power steering filter

I have never changed the p/s fluid or any other fluid as the car has been on blocks almost since I purchased it. I'm in the process of rebuilding the front/rear suspension, steering and brake system. Thanks again for anyone's input.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎