X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deanj
    Super-Experienced
    • Nov 26 2015

Trunk Water

Service required my car parked in a downpour. I drove in heavy rain. also. The trunk was flooded and it seems to come from the high right inner wheel well side. What an ongoing cleanup!

I plan on using a systematic water test, but does anyone think where the leak is more likely to come from? The rear glass and rubber seal? Outer rear parcel area seam or wheelhouse seam?

Dean
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

My first guess would be the trunk seal. If it's hard or shows any cracks it needs to be replaced.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Deanj
      Super-Experienced
      • Nov 26 2015

Thanks John. I could only hope so, but it's pretty new even though new stuff can be bad, too. The rear window has the original seal though and it looks bad upon casual inspection.

This week my friend the former Pontiac and Toyota mechanic will spend time in the trunk while I start watering the wheel opening seams and work my way to the top of the rear window.

Dean

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

That would be my second guess. The only other reason it would leak is if the seam sealer around the lip of the trunk came off.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Deanj
          Super-Experienced
          • Nov 26 2015

Repaired the leak problem and it was the rear window seal and seal area.

We started by hosing water on the outer wheel opening seam, tail lights, the trunk lid, and base of the rear window working up both ends. There were 2 leaks: One at the bottom of the window and one on the vertical passenger side. There is a seam inside the trunk just outside the lid hinges that is suspicious, too. We sealed the vertical leak with RTV and replaced the reveal molding and found the 2nd leak at the base of the window. My friend, the mechanic who said he got to specialize in this, applied RTV carefully to the forward and aft side of the well worn rubber seal on the bottom of the glass from side to side. Presto!

If this hadn't worked, a new glass seal was in order-and that's a task I can't do.

BTW, I use a "waterless" car wash and never hose the car off. I know the previous owner didn't and wonder how come he never knew he had a problem.

Dean

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎