Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssj335
    Experienced
    • Jul 13 2018

Thanks! I figured this out as well by being a nerd and looking at the member list and their post numbers.

Comment

• ssj335
      Experienced
      • Jul 13 2018

Hey I found these (outer?) rocker panels supposedly from a 59 Galaxie or Fairline. Would these work for my car? I think the inners were interchangeable but not sure about outers.

Originally posted by YellowRose
      If you need inner rocker panels, for a Squarebird, some of the guys who have had to go the route of replacing them used ones from the 1957 & 1958 Full Sized Fords, Fairlane and Galaxie! He said they fit right in without major modifications. In fact that is what he is using on a car he is working on. He also told me they are available through Mac's Auto Parts there in NY. There are 4dr units and 2dr units, and the 2dr's cost $52 for the Left and $50.29 for the Right! Look for the two that are for 2Dr 1957-1958 Fords.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by ssj335
        Hey I found these (outer?) rocker panels supposedly from a 59 Galaxie or Fairline. Would these work for my car? I think the inners were interchangeable but not sure about outers.
        No, the outers won't work on a Squarebird. The correct rocker panels are readily available from many different sources.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• ssj335
          Experienced
          • Jul 13 2018

Appreciated thank you.

Comment

• ssj335
            Experienced
            • Jul 13 2018

To revisit this, I took some photos of the underside of the car. I would LOVE your opinions on what you think it would cost to repair. And of course, if you see anything concerning underneath besides the rust.

With all your knowledge and know-how, it would be great to guestimate what the cost of repair (done right) would be. And perhaps the cost (not done perfectly but looking nice) would be.

I still plan to have it looked at by a couple different people and getting pricing quotes.
            Attached Files

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

As I mentioned before it's not what you see it's what you don't see. There's no telling what's under the paint until you see it close up and can either tap on it or run a magnet over it to tell if it has Bondo underneath the paint covering up the rust. At best you are going to need outer rockers and some quarterpanel repair. It's impossible to tell the extent of the quarterpanel damage from pictures. If it needs new quarterpanels that will add substantially to the cost. Hopefully you can get away with just spot repair on the quarters. Even so you are talking a few thousand dollars when you figure in paint. The good news is that the floors look solid so I don't anticipate any repairs there but you never know until you check the sheet metal for rigidity. I wish I could give you a dollar figure but it's not possible just going by pictures.

John

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It looks like at least one muffler is on it's last legs. I would imagine that both need to be replaced.

John

Comment

• ssj335
                  Experienced
                  • Jul 13 2018

Thanks for that!

Originally posted by jopizz
                  As I mentioned before it's not what you see it's what you don't see. There's no telling what's under the paint until you see it close up and can either tap on it or run a magnet over it to tell if it has Bondo underneath the paint covering up the rust. At best you are going to need outer rockers and some quarterpanel repair. It's impossible to tell the extent of the quarterpanel damage from pictures. If it needs new quarterpanels that will add substantially to the cost. Hopefully you can get away with just spot repair on the quarters. Even so you are talking a few thousand dollars when you figure in paint. The good news is that the floors look solid so I don't anticipate any repairs there but you never know until you check the sheet metal for rigidity. I wish I could give you a dollar figure but it's not possible just going by pictures.

John

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I don't want to scare you or discourage you but in the classic car world spending $15K-$20K doing major rust repair and paint is considered reasonable. Body work and paint is a specialty that takes years to learn so those who do it well are in high demand and charge top dollar. As you are finding out owning a classic car without being able to do the work yourself takes deep pockets.

John

Comment

• ssj335
                      Experienced
                      • Jul 13 2018

Yes sadly I do not have deep pockets. But I am enjoying the car now that it can drive without conking out. Don't need it perfect but will still see what it'll cost.

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

When you take the car to have the body looked at I would have a dollar figure in mind that you absolutely can't go past. If it can be repaired for that figure or less great. If not I would ask them to do as much as possible for that dollar figure as long as it doesn't change the overall look of the car. You can certainly enjoy it the way it is. As long as you can find indoor storage soon the rust should not get significantly worse. The other option is selling it (hopefully for a profit) and putting that money toward a car that needs less body work. I've been doing that for 45 years.

John

Comment

• ssj335
                          Experienced
                          • Jul 13 2018

Hey excellent advice. This is pretty much exactly what I plan on doing.

I think I would be happy if it were $3500 and thrilled if it were and less. $4000 - $4500 I would be torn. $5000+ I would hesitate and likely NOT proceed. $7000+ = no way.

Comment

• ssj335
                            Experienced
                            • Jul 13 2018

Got an estimate on the rust repairs. $8000-$12000. Guy said that doing a temporary cheap fix wouldn't be wise and wouldn't last beyond 6 months.

I don't think it's worth spending that kind of money right? Could use advice. I've stated to really like the car and the thought of losing it has me feeling depressed.

1. Should I sell the car and then put that money toward another car with no rust issues?

2. Should I keep the car (I got it at a decent price and it's running well now) with the knowledge the rust will get worse over time but I can enjoy it for a while. Even if the rust got worse I could likely still sell it down the line and get back much of what I paid for it. Even parts cars can sell for decent money.

3. Spend the $8-$12k to make it perfect. Would have to take out a loan to finance this option. Probably the least smart thing I can do with my budget.

Comment

• jopizz
                              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by ssj335
                              3. Spend the $8-$12k to make it perfect. Would have to take out a loan to finance this option. Probably the least smart thing I can do with my budget.
                              I would never borrow money to invest in a classic car. By the time you pay interest you will wind up paying twice what it's worth. You can buy a nice rust free Squarebird for the same amount it will cost to fix yours so repairing it is the worst option in my opinion. If you don't have indoor storage the rust will get worse rather quickly. If you keep it indoors it will stay the way it is much longer. If it was me I would sell it as long as I could make a decent profit and look for something else in better condition.

John

Comment

• Brushwolf
                                Experienced
                                • Jul 18 2015

John is right. Put it up for sale, drive and enjoy it in the meantime. Use the proceeds to buy another after exhaustive examination and don't go into debt unless it's on another you are absolutely sure is solid and that would re-coup your investment if you make it. (Or at least not lose more than you can live with...) This is supposed to be fun, and it takes the fun out of it if it costs just too much for your budget.

Old cars are always somewhat of a gamble and just like gambling: never bet more than you can afford to lose...

Mike H

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎