This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:26 PM

46bird is on a distinguished road
Default Larger wheel cylinders in '64 Futura

I have a '64 and redid the brakes last year. The engine is a 200 I-6, as supplied originally. No power brakes. I think the V-8 Falcons used a little larger wheel cylinder, and I would like to change to that size to decrease the peddle pressure a little. As it is now my wife couldnt safely drive the Falcon. What do you think, and which cylinders should I order? Thanks, Mike
Old 05-29-2014, 02:14 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Bendix offers these choices for your car:
1-1/16" bore Bendix 33354 & 55
1-1/8" bore Bendix 33614 & 15

There really isn't much difference between the two. At 500psi brake line pressure, the top cylinder offers 443 lbs., the second offers 497 lbs., on the shoes. So yeah, you get a little bit more (54 lbs). I don't know if that's enough to persuade her. Another thing you can do is downsize your M/C bore size. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-29-2014, 09:29 AM

Default Oh Oh

That is interesting! I forget but believe I put in 29/32 in. bore cylinders. Was thinking to go to 15/16 in. No wonder it takes so much pressure to the peddle.

Earlier this year a Deer suddenly ran out in front of me on the highway. I really had to stand on the brakes!

Mike
Old 05-29-2014, 11:03 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I hope we are talking about FRONT wheel cylinders.
You didn't specify, and the front does most of the braking. If you already have 15/16" in the rear, simply add 1-1/8" cylinders in the fronts.

Rockauto.com has these cylinders at a decent price. Make sure you get the LH and RH cylinder numbers correct, so you don't mismatch bores:
33614 & 33615

Rockauto is a member of squarebirds.org and they offer us a 5% discount. Use code: 3C27B2379F1ACF (Expires: 07/11/2014)

Hope this helps. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-29-2014, 02:52 PM

Thanks Dave.