X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sjp3003
    Apprentice
    • Jul 17 2016

Originally posted by YellowRose
    Hi Steven! Thanks for the additional pix! She really looks nice with the white top I think! She is looking great!
    Back at you Ray...that Yellow Rose with the white roof may have been subliminal inspiration for this rooftop change!

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Foolhardy Tropical TBird Project

Here is what Steve had to say regarding the work on his Flairbird!

"Hi Ray, The TBird project keeps moving along. The focus is on the engine now. Headers and top end parts arrived. The engine was pulled and the engine bay is getting refreshed. When the engine was removed, Dan saw the timing chain needed replacement. Now looking at new pistons and perhaps stroking. I will visit the shop in 2 weeks. I ordered custom wheels that look a bit like the originals. In short, getting more mods than I originally thought I would. All the best, Steve."

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• FARONZ 66 Q CODE
        • Sep 25 2013

Hi Guys, If I may ask, what is the Sanderson part number for those shorty headers . ? May be something I want to do on my 428....Thanks !

Faron

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Foolhardy Tropical TBird Project

Here is the latest report on Steven's '66 Flairbird restoration directly from him.

"The '66 Bird in Shrewsbury is pretty much finished except for the engine work. It has been at the engine shop recommended by Dan for over a month...apparently they have a backlog of work due to the race season there, but they have prepped it. They also found a ring that was broken and that had not been caught before; surprisingly compression was fine on all cylinders before the engine was dis assembled."

So there ya go!

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

It has been quite some time since I last heard from Steve & David regarding the restoration and repair work being done on Steve's 1966 Flairbird. I just heard from Steve and then from David, with an update and a lot of pix. Here is what was said.

Hi Ray,

I hope the new year has been shaping up well for you.

Haven't provided an update in awhile - sorry for that. On the whole, the Tropical Bird project stalled significantly last year, mostly regarding shifting priorities leading to availability of mechanic resources at the shop, including a shop move to a significantly improved facility.

I believe I last wrote about the changeover of the hydraulic windshield wiper unit to an electric one. That was quite the effort and the result is excellent. Dan’s team documented how to do that if anyone needs to do that in the future.

Mechanically, the car is mostly complete now. Engine is running very well. If you remember, the 428 was bored and stroked, with a complete new top end installed - intake manifold, air filter, heads and roller rockers, headers, EFI, etc. That led to additional necessary changes, like upgrading the brakes to a hydro boost system, installing a vacuum canister system (where the factory one was missing), MSD ignition, controller, high-end (and quiet) fuel pump/system with flow regulator, thick exhaust gaskets, and many other items.

We had a small debacle when it went out for the new exhaust system. The first shop managed to smash a fuel line by bumping the temporary exhaust into it and rupturing it while driving the car into their shop. They ultimately decided to not do the work as they thought it was too hard to do given the headers angles and the exhaust route. After recovering the car, replacing the fuel line, and finding another shop, we were treated to what is probably the most solid exhaust I’ve personally ever seen. I’m certain I could do pull-ups on any section of it!

We added a few other items such as an on-board compressor and air horns in the front bumper, upgraded halogen headlights, repainted headliner panels (the moon skin headliner [or is it mouse skin] never stayed attached), and other.

We’ve struggled with the final drive options and don’t think we will change anything at this point. As you know, the final drive is quite high, and when mated to the C6 3-speed transmission, the gearing is directed for cruising. Basically, off the line, the car is sluggish. Understanding this is a cruiser, it feels like we’re leaving a lot of power in that drivetrain and not applying it on the road. Our current direction is to get out and drive the car as-is and decide on any changes, if necessary, later. Open to ideas especially on final drive ring and pinion options for that pumpkin.

As Steven noted, we moved to paint. Our approach was to just paint the areas we repaired around the frame rails, rocker panels, lower quarters around the wheel wells/skirts, and a few nicks and chips around the car, then blend the paint, wet sand, and polish. As we prepped for paint, we realized that there were so many spots that would need blending that it made sense to just prep the whole surface and paint it.

As with anything restoration, that led to some more discoveries. Rust was developing in the trunk seal channel around the trunk. That was a great catch and luckily it was just surface rust so it is now in bare metal ready for priming. While blocking and prepping for the new paint job, we found that the existing paint was very easily flaking-off and separating from a previous painted surface. This seems to be a widespread issue and we’ve gone down to bare metal on most of the external panels. Clearly something went wrong on the last spray about 10 years ago and is just flaking and peeling off.

Not to be done with discoveries, we have found new areas that were repaired incorrectly. We found a crease on the passenger side quarter (above the repair we did some time age) and onto the door that were stuffed with bondo and shaped instead of repairing the metal.

That said, all of the metal we’ve uncovered is in very good shape and easy to work and fix correctly as needed. All surfaces will be epoxy sealed, skimmed, blocked, base painted, clear coated, and wet sanded and polished. So that’s where we’re heading! David.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 17 photos.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
              Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Looks like a lot has been accomplished and the end goal can be seen
              Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
              Thunderbird Registry
              58HT #33317
              60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Privateer
                • Feb 13 2016

So much has been done and the car is looking great!
                While I do not need it now I would definitely be interested if the details of the electric wiper conversion could be posted.
                Thank you for the continued update over the years.

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Here is an email and a picture from Steven Puig ~ Sjp3003 of the Dominican Republic! Here is what Steve said, and the picture he sent!

"Dear Ray, Over 4 years in the making! Finally ready for shipment to the Dominican Republic. I hope you and yours are doing well. Will always appreciate your help finding this project. It has been one of the greatest lessons in patience in my life! Best regards, Steven."

Here is the pic!

Steve, there was a question regarding the details of the electric wiper conversion. Can those details be posted for others to know how it was done?
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Sjp3003
                    Apprentice
                    • Jul 17 2016

Hello everyone. I had not logged on here for some time. Thanks to Ray, Joe and others who have provided useful advice on this project. Yesterday I finally received the TBird, appropriately at the local Ford Distributor who was kind enough to help with the import process (it took a village to complete the car and get it here). Kind of fitting that this Bird is resurrecting during Easter week. My first drive was from the dealer to the office early in the morning, and the second was home from there. I was going to go out last night but strong rains came through and I left the car garaged.

Amazingly I had not had a chance to drive the car until now. My brother David drove it from the seller in New Hampshire to Dan's shop in Massachussetts when we bought it. I thought it would be there for a few weeks to get freshened...little did I know. Thanks to Joe for insisting I forget about the original project car I found locally that was a heap of rusty parts. I'd still be waiting for that one. I visited the shop yearly for over 4 years, and during that time it was David who would run by the shop regularly to see how it was going. Dave drove it a few hundred miles to shake it down before final adjustments and shipping.

So here are my First Impressions: Although I'd seen it in the shop (usually on a lift), seeing it on the dealer showroom highlighted how sleek, long and low slung this car is. It fired right up. The 428 makes nice music, especially with the pipes we put on it. We have 3 modern V8's in our garage), and this Bird fits right in. The drive to the office was great: the rebuilt transmission shifts well, the engine has plenty power (managed to get the rear tires loose) and the car tracked straight. Steering is by far the lightest I've ever had...it will take some getting used to.

With classic cars there is always a to do list. Mechanically I noted three: First, shifting the car into reverse produces a sharp clunk in the transmission. Second, the Classic AC's compressor was not actuating and I'll need to sort that out. And third, even though the door cards are new, the plastic pull handle is out of place as it was not used gingerly by those who moved it in transit. Other than these items, mission accomplished. I will post a few pics once I refresh my memory on how post them here.

Steve

Comment

• Sjp3003
                      Apprentice
                      • Jul 17 2016

Actually there is a forth item on my list: It fires up fine when cold, but barely turns over and then fires up when hot. The battery is new, and the starter motor is too.

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Sjp3003
                        Actually there is a forth item on my list: It fires up fine when cold, but barely turns over and then fires up when hot. The battery is new, and the starter motor is too.
                        That usually means that the timing is advanced too much.

John
                        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Congratulations, Steven on finally, after 4 years and a lot of restoration and modernization on the Old Gal, you finally have her home in the Dominican Republic! She was selected as Tbird Of The Month of May in 2017!
                          Attached Files

Comment

• YellowRose
                            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Steven ~ Sjp3003 has just emailed me a pic of his 1966 Flairbird sitting in the Dominican Republic now! Here is that pic and what he had to say.

"Hi Ray
                            I hope you are doing well. Thought you might enjoy this picture of the 66 Landau Bird I took today. The car has now been in the Dominican for 6 months. It is a joy to drive and sparks smiles wherever I drive it here. Thanks again for your help in locating this car and a shop to restore it. Steve
                            PS: I caught the TBird bug and recently purchased a Raven Black on Black 56 early bird (just like Marilyn Monroe's). I shipped it from California to Florida and it is being worked on in Fort Lauderdale before I ship it here."
                            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎