X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill A
    Apprentice
    • Jan 14 2012

My carb choke plate is odd

Picked up a Autolite 4100, 1.12 carb that supposedly belonged to a 59 T bird. The only number on the carb is 5752309 which I believe is a correct carb for my 352. The only thing I can't identify is a choke plate anomaly. It has a swinging plate inside the larger choke plate. Anyone familiar with this? Hope I can still use it but don't know if that will affect setup. I have pix if that will help.

Any help will be appreciated.

Bill A
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I have had carburetors with that type of choke plate. The ones I've had worked fine so you shouldn't have any issue with it as long as the spring is good. I believe it's meant to increase the air coming in at higher rpm with the choke closed. Vacuum pulls the plate open. That is the correct carburetor for your '59.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Bill A
      Apprentice
      • Jan 14 2012

John,

Well I guess I'm missing the spring because nothing is there and the plate is just flapping in the breeze. There are two posts on the plate. Does the spring go there? I guess I could just fix it closed and be no worse off. Maybe?

Thanks for your input,

Bill A

Originally posted by jopizz
      I have had carburetors with that type of choke plate. The ones I've had worked fine so you shouldn't have any issue with it as long as the spring is good. I believe it's meant to increase the air coming in at higher rpm with the choke closed. Vacuum pulls the plate open. That is the correct carburetor for your '59.

John

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The spring goes in the center. There is a space where it fits. It's a very small spring. They often rust and fall apart. I would just fix it closed all the time. They did away with it in 1960 so I guess it wasn't that effective anyway.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎