This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:10 PM

fordrodsteven is on a distinguished road

I have been going out to the garage for short times when the temperature gets to be over 50 degrees. That won't happening for much longer. Anyway, I have been scraping the paint and bondo off the car one section at a time. So far I have done both side rear quarters and the doors. I am getting off four or five layers of paint & bondo. I have been getting down to the original snowshoe white color. I have a question.... I have been finding a layer under the white finish that appears to be a "skim coat"? Is that how it was done at the factory? In the spots where I went to bare metal I am not finding a primer (unless it was white). It seems to have this thicker skim coat applied directly to the metal and then a thin layer of what looked to be the original paint. Is that how they were done? I tried to resize my pics but they are still too large (277KB) to put on the web site (145KB limit)
CTCI member #37081

Last edited by fordrodsteven : 11-27-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:06 AM

Default Resto-mod update

I took a closer look at what I am finding. I carefully cleared away material until I got down to metal. I have a brownish / black layer at the metal and then what looks almost like a "skim" coat then white finish (smooth / shiny) paint. I am going to the local "old Birds" brunch tomorrow and I will be talking with guys who have done a few restorations.
CTCI member #37081
Old 11-28-2016, 11:29 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

You may want to send a PM to Dave Dare (simplyconnected) in case he doesn't see your post. He might have some info on how the bodies were prepped before painting.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 11-28-2016, 03:16 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Not sure how the factory did it back then and the resto process went through many different methods over the years. Lacquer primer, Bondo, etc. The modern way, at least according to my body man, is that the old paint gets sanded off with 150 grit and don't let the steel get hot and warp. Then repairs as necessary. Then uses a two-part epoxy primer followed by a light skim coat of polyester filler and block sand, block sand, block sand, block sand.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
Not sure how the factory did it back then and the resto process went through many different methods over the years. Lacquer primer, Bondo, etc. The modern way, at least according to my body man, is that the old paint gets sanded off with 150 grit and don't let the steel get hot and warp. Then repairs as necessary. Then uses a two-part epoxy primer followed by a light skim coat of polyester filler and block sand, block sand, block sand, block sand.
Thank you! What about any treatment of the metal to protect it? Is the epoxy primer the thing that does the trick?
CTCI member #37081
Old 11-28-2016, 04:04 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordrodsteven View Post
Thank you! What about any treatment of the metal to protect it? Is the epoxy primer the thing that does the trick?
I'm not sure, and I know that I've left out several steps. I just wanted you to know that methods have changed, so looking through old layers may be interesting from a historical perspective, but not much help on how to go about it today. Also, chemical compatibility between steps is very important.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
I'm not sure, and I know that I've left out several steps. I just wanted you to know that methods have changed, so looking through old layers may be interesting from a historical perspective, but not much help on how to go about it today. Also, chemical compatibility between steps is very important.
Yes I agree. That is my plan. I thought about buying rust retarding materials from Eastwood but then I worry about compatibility. I might just go to the local Auto body supply company and work with their recommendations. That way If I have any questions I can do show and tell with them. I still have some work to do replacing rusted out areas. I will have to get something to put on the metal to stop surface rusting. Of course I will have to wait until it warms up enough because my garage is not heated.
CTCI member #37081
Old 11-28-2016, 07:18 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

'Body Shop' metal is filthy, with draw compound oil, hand prints, weld flash, etc.

Ford cars are treated with phosphate to etch and clean steel frames and body assemblies. Phosphate also leaves a black-ish film which protects it for a short time (especially here in the rust belt). Because of the phosphate process Ford never paints on bare steel because paint is porous. That's why some aftermarket paint jobs rust sooner. Ford then used a red (almost rust color) primer before the top coat. Our ovens are set to 250F. That is far too hot for any plastic, vinyl or soft materials but it does a great job of curing paint in a hurry.

As soon as the car comes out of 'Paint' it goes to 'Trim' for wire harnesses, headliners, glass, carpeting, moldings & windlace. Trim also inserts the dash and console, lights, connects wiring and troubleshoots any faulty electrical. Then, on to 'Chassis' where the engine and trans are assembled to the rear axle. The Final Line decks the body onto the chassis, installs the front suspension and brake assemblies, steering wheel and tie rods, exhaust system, fuel tank, fuel and brake lines, radiators, wheels, seats, tires, battery and fills all the liquids.
The 'Drive-away Garage" adjusts suspension with the steering wheel, aims headlights, runs the driveline to 60-MPH, leak tests all the interior and repairs any damage (especially to the paint). At the back door, a Security Guard weighs each wheel and he checks the options against the build sheet. If ok, he slaps the window sticker on then Ford hands the car over to the transportation company who then assumes all responsibility for the car including damage or lost parts until it safely arrives at the dealership.

I skimmed over many subassembly lines like 'Dashboard Build', engine and trans build, tire and wheel combinations, axle build (with different springs and ratios), seat build combinations, etc. Everything must meet the Build Sheet spec's. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 11-28-2016, 07:41 PM

Thank you. The phosphate is what I am seeing and questioning. You have helped me greatly!
CTCI member #37081
Old 06-11-2017, 08:07 PM

I have been working on the car a little whenever I get a chance. Along with a few other projects. Any way I have been chemically stripping the paint to get to bare metal then shooting a primer to help stop from forming any rust until I get further along. The car is half done. I also found a couple spots rusted through on the frame so I have purchased a nice '56 frame to replace my rusted '55 frame. I don't have the pictures of the frames at this time I will post them later.
The front bumper is on the car because I have to straighten it on the drivers side corner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front1.jpg (21.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg left1.jpg (21.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg rear1.jpg (21.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg right1.jpg (22.2 KB, 39 views)
CTCI member #37081